Axle, differntial, universal noise? (video inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turbopbw

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end with this noise. Best way to describe it would be above 20 MPH, scrap (sounds more like scrup) scrap, scrap. In a turn or semi hard lane change it goes away. Last weekend I replaced the wheel bearings, no change. Before I do something crazy like rebuilding the differential maybe you guys could shed some light. I took my stethoscope with the truck on jack stands going 30 MPH and listen to axle near both wheel bearings sounds good, near axle sounds like normal gears, and near pinion sounds normal. I never hear the Scrap, scrap scrap. During filming of the video I did notice the drive shaft/universal joint near the pinion looks warped, could this be the cause?

Thanks guys, take care, be safe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWHQEI88FmQ

davidx2000

Reaction score
I have a similar noise that I hear around 20mph and up --- interested to hear from other members what they think the cause might be. I am thinking the u-joints need replaced.

97' Silverado K1500 Z71 - 99,870 miles