Auto to manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NV3500 or NV4500 5speeds are a direct swap, I did the swap in my 1997 c1500 from 4l60E. I went with an NV3500 from zumbrota, half the cost of an NV4500. Once you consider the price of an NV4500 you might as well get a T56. 2wd the drive shaft length will be different but the 4wd should be no issues. If you can’t find a good transmission from a reputable seller I highly recommend getting one from rock auto, although they are a bit more expensive. The plus side is they are rebuilt by zumbrota and are nice pieces. All the small parts I try and go through rock auto just so I can assure the correct parts and pick my quality/price. I also found a factory shifter on eBay with boot. The clutch pedal bracket you will need to find from a 1997 donor, because it is a 1 year only. I found mine from a website I’ll try and find it and post a link. The holes and stud under the dash were actually there in my truck so all the provisions are there. Then you can find the OEM pedal assembly on eBay for a pretty affordable price. You will have to drill a hole in firewall for master cylinder, there is a center mark for location, pretty straightforward. Wiring was pretty easy thanks to another write up for a T56 magnum swap. Ill try and find the notes I have and post them as well, I just cut and terminated all of the unused wiring from the 4l60e. I chose to spend the time wiring the neutral safety switch and cruise control over to the clutch pedal but you will have to call your Chevy dealer to get the part number for the connector that goes to the switch on the pedal. This is also a 1 year only switch. You take the cruise control wires from brake pedal and send them over to clutch, so now the clutch deactivates the cruise control instead of brake pedal. And the neutral safety switch will resemble factory settings so you can’t start truck unless clutch is in. I really only did that In case I send my truck to the shop and someone doesn’t try starting the truck on a lift or with someone under it. But up to you! Lights, vehicle speed sensor, pretty easy swap. Since the 4l60e is a computerized transmission, I did have to send my computer to black bear performance for a pcm reprogram. This solved a check engine light, limp mode, and high idle for me. The truck also runs way better other than getting rid of codes when compared to original auto trans. They do a phenomenal job with optimizing a stock tune for daily driving. If I am forgetting anything or you need any more details let me know, I’m writing this at work so I’m not as detailed as I could be,

I found this swap to be incredibly fun and satisfying, it’s especially fun to try and achieve a “better than factory” result without cutting corners and also trying to leave no traces of a DIY swap. Do it the right way, take your time, spend the money where it counts and you will have no issues!