Ardent Fabrication Autocross Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love the videos, and I'm a huge fan of white wheels on white vehicles! Viva la '90s! Truck looks pretty good through the cones, but man it could use some kind of limited slip to put power down. Looks like it needs a bit more damping, too - in a couple spots where you have to get a quick turn on the wheel because of the slow ratio, it flops over a bit hard and makes it quickly transition to understeer worse than it should. If you don't want stiffer springs/shocks, it might at least be worth checking out the energy suspension poly upper shock mounts for the front. It gets rid of the horrible hysteresis in the stock mounting and makes a solid difference in transitional behavior for just about no money.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Thanks! I have at least two more event for March 2019 so be on the lookout for some more videos! I need to step my editing game up to make em more interesting but I'll work on it!

So, speaking of diffs, I'm actually about to lift my truck up to swap in a G80 I scored from a friend of mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

As for springs and shocks, I know I know lol, it needs it bad.. but I'm balling on a budget so I'm trying to work my way up my list. I can deal somewhat with the excessive roll and dive but the open diff around the corners is one of the many things that's hurting my course times. Trust me, it's in the works haha.

I'm also going to create some adjustable control arms with double adjusters as opposed to eccentric bolt (hate those bolts). That way you can count the turns of the adjustments and keep track of everything. Even have a setting for street and autocross.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best cheap springs you can get are Moog 5716 for the C2500 with the big block or diesel for $100 new. They're about 1500 lb/inch, and then cut a coil off to get the ride height back down (which also further bumps the rate up some). It sounds stiff, I know, but it works unbelievably well on my Tahoe and at least at the front end, the Tahoe and the C1500 are the same. I think stock C1500 is between 850 and 1000 in the front, stock, depending on the year and engine. Most of the drop springs that I've seen are barely stiffer. The trick is finding shocks that can control them - the best I've found off the shelf so far are the newer Chevy Express 3500 stock front shocks since they have a similar stock spring rate and motion ratio, though eventually I may build a set of QA1s.

I second @sewlow's G80 comment. The G80 locks pretty abruptly, which you can deal with, but it unlocks above ~20 mph. I know there are sites that say it acts like a limited slip above that, but that is patently false. It's an open diff once the speeds go up. I've also discovered that the G80 does odd stuff under braking. The Tahoe has a big rear bar and overly stiff leaf springs, and you can lock up the inside rear if you're trail braking. In slower corners, if the contour of the road is just wrong....this can actually make the G80 lock up on deceleration. Chirp, BANG, instant oversteer. It's really exciting, in a bad way, and really unpredictable.

I think I'd stick with the open diff over the G80; I've only kept the G80 in mine because I haul dirt bikes with it and 100% lock can be critical getting out of muddy parking lots. In a heavy Tahoe, it's easy to drive around the odd behavior. It's much harder when the rear is so light in a truck.

I'm not sure if the last of the B body chevys have the same spline count, but if they do, those all had clutch-type Auburn limited slips that would be much better for what you're doing.

EDIT: also curious what you eventually come up with for arms. With halfway decent tires, I'm having a hard time keeping the eccentric bolts from moving around on me.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
The G80 won't be happy autocrossing.
I'm hoping with my bone stock engine that doesn't make any power won't be too much for the G80. I'm not really planning on doing anything to the powertrain at all in the near future either. I'm hoping this will do ok for me till I can afford a Truetrac. I'm not superstitious but I'm crossing my fingers [emoji51]

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Best cheap springs you can get are Moog 5716 for the C2500 with the big block or diesel for $100 new. They're about 1500 lb/inch, and then cut a coil off to get the ride height back down (which also further bumps the rate up some). It sounds stiff, I know, but it works unbelievably well on my Tahoe and at least at the front end, the Tahoe and the C1500 are the same. I think stock C1500 is between 850 and 1000 in the front, stock, depending on the year and engine. Most of the drop springs that I've seen are barely stiffer. The trick is finding shocks that can control them - the best I've found off the shelf so far are the newer Chevy Express 3500 stock front shocks since they have a similar stock spring rate and motion ratio, though eventually I may build a set of QA1s.

I second @sewlow's G80 comment. The G80 locks pretty abruptly, which you can deal with, but it unlocks above ~20 mph. I know there are sites that say it acts like a limited slip above that, but that is patently false. It's an open diff once the speeds go up. I've also discovered that the G80 does odd stuff under braking. The Tahoe has a big rear bar and overly stiff leaf springs, and you can lock up the inside rear if you're trail braking. In slower corners, if the contour of the road is just wrong....this can actually make the G80 lock up on deceleration. Chirp, BANG, instant oversteer. It's really exciting, in a bad way, and really unpredictable.

I think I'd stick with the open diff over the G80; I've only kept the G80 in mine because I haul dirt bikes with it and 100% lock can be critical getting out of muddy parking lots. In a heavy Tahoe, it's easy to drive around the odd behavior. It's much harder when the rear is so light in a truck.

I'm not sure if the last of the B body chevys have the same spline count, but if they do, those all had clutch-type Auburn limited slips that would be much better for what you're doing.

EDIT: also curious what you eventually come up with for arms. With halfway decent tires, I'm having a hard time keeping the eccentric bolts from moving around on me.

I'll have to check that out for the springs because if that's true, that'd be what I need for autocross. I'll probably go with some QA1's or Vikings but I'd love to use some real shocks like MCS. But I've gotta be realistic with myself, I've got wine taste but a beer budget lol [emoji481]

Yea this is the first time I've ever driven with a G80 so I'm curious to see for myself. I still have the open diff. if I need to put it back but I figure it would be worth a try. Also, I've never swapped out a diff. before so it was a good learning experience. Literally just put the cover on from the swap not too long ago so I'll let the RTV dry overnight before putting some fluid in it and taking for a spin. As for the Auburn limited slips, I also want to look into that. There's so much research I need to do with not enough time in my day lol.

My plan for the upper control arms will have spherical rod ends immediately followed double adjusters on both joints. They'll meet the ball joint with one end welded to the balljoint plate and another with a clevis so when you adjust for camber and caster, nothing is in bind.

Hopefully I can get started on it sooner than later. I have a lot of products in the drawing books and some with functioning prototypes, I just need to put in the time...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm hoping with my bone stock engine that doesn't make any power won't be too much for the G80. I'm not really planning on doing anything to the powertrain at all in the near future either. I'm hoping this will do ok for me till I can afford a Truetrac. I'm not superstitious but I'm crossing my fingers [emoji51]

Power isn't the issue IMO, it's predictability. As a person who beats on 10 bolt G80s way too much, I can tell you you're not going to like it. Not much of an improvement from an open diff as the G80 automatically unlocks at wheel speeds of 20-30MPH. You can make them do donuts and slide, but you have to watch the wheel speed like a hawk.

All that aside, sweet truck!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going over 20-30 mph around tight corners in a heavy truck? Like anything else, just get used to what it is and see if it works out. Nothing scary.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Are you going over 20-30 mph around tight corners in a heavy truck? Like anything else, just get used to what it is and see if it works out. Nothing scary.
Right, it's all in attempt to help me in autocross which in the tight turns I'm probably around 20-30 mph.

One of the biggest obstacles I struggle with traction on the course is the tight 180° turns. The truck is suprisingly solid in the slaloms and slight turns. There's usually at least 2-3 180° turns in a course so if the diff helps that's 2-3 areas that I could shave time off of, not to mention keep the momentum going.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd keep the old rear end in case it sucks or explodes from going on/off on the tar. Should be exciting either way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SirTurdFerguson