Anybody on here have to replace the starter or your truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my truck has random starting issues.

it cranks fine just doesn't always start on the first try, sometimes when it does start it's a weak slow start (like the engine has little power during start up)

everything, I repeat everything on the fuel system has been replaced
battery and alternator are new as well and the terminals are tight

does this sound like a starter???

also my truck has 167k and it's a 96 c1500

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it not spin quickly, or does it spin slowly for a second and then accelerate quickly right before it catches?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling he is talking about a hard start issue like my truck has. Most of the time it will fire right up, others it will crank like normal but no fire for atleast a second or 2 then when it fires it stumbles up to normal idle speed.

Last edited:

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it not spin quickly, or does it spin slowly for a second and then accelerate quickly right before it catches?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

of course when I go to test it, it starts fine everytime. but I'm guessing if it has those problems than I need to replace the starter?

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a feeling he it's talking about a hard start issue like my truck has. Most of the time it will fire right up, others it will crank like normal but no fire for atleast a second or 2 then when it fires it stumbles up to normal idle speed.

that is exactly what is happening!

it's irritating to worry about getting stranded somewhere one day

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines been like it for months..... Replaced numerous things to try to remedy it but to no avail, it's still showing it's ugly face.

Never has left me stranded before (knock on wood)

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not a whole he// of a lot of help. But if you figure out the problem I would be interested!