Alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 95 5.0 I had to remove the bracket that goes from the alternator to the manifold when I added the hydroboost as it would not fit. Is there a replacement bracket that came with trucks with hydroboost brakes?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What didn't fit. There should be plenty of room. Are saying the support rods? Alt' to intake . Or Alt' to exhaust manifold?

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alternator to exhaust. The hydroboost lines did not work the factory bracket

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 5.7L never had an alternator-to-exhaust bracket in the time I've owned it. I bought it with ~180K miles and 10 years on it, so if there were changes it could have happened before I got it. Does have an alternator-to-intake bracket.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 95 is tbi rite? So u have a factory cs130 95/105 amp. Yea ; the ad244 fits. And as I mentioned it is a factory 145. Just open those mounting holes and get u some longer bolts. And the longer belt. The ad244 charges better and you dont have that open fan to cut your fingee off!

Just make sure the ad244 is the 4 pin and not 2 pin. RPO code KG3 is the one you want . It will go up to 2005/2006 in some vehicles. In 2011 it resurfaced but has a 2 pin.

Something to keep in mind while opening up those bolt holes is the cast aluminum accessory brackets on TBI's (the ones used on most TBI's, after the first couple years which were stamped steel) are pretty easy to break. So just be careful. Go slow, test-fit, and if it's not easy to slip the bolts in -DO NOT FORCE IT- or you'll break the bracket very easily. Watched a buddy do this on his Vortec 5.7 (same cast aluminum material used on the brackets) just removing the old alternator, he got a little careless and -snap-

Richard

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind while opening up those bolt holes is the cast aluminum accessory brackets on TBI's (the ones used on most TBI's, after the first couple years which were stamped steel) are pretty easy to break. So just be careful. Go slow, test-fit, and if it's not easy to slip the bolts in -DO NOT FORCE IT- or you'll break the bracket very easily. Watched a buddy do this on his Vortec 5.7 (same cast aluminum material used on the brackets) just removing the old alternator, he got a little careless and -snap-

Richard
Yep its BRITTLE. Ask
Me how i know on the other side the first time i ever removed alternator. One of those D’Oh!!!! Moments

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... the cast aluminum accessory brackets on TBI's (the ones used on most TBI's, after the first couple years which were stamped steel) are pretty easy to break

Yep its BRITTLE. Ask
Me how i know
on the other side the first time i ever removed alternator. One of those D’Oh!!!! Moments

Sounds like GM mighta known what they were doing when they installed the struts to provide additional support to the alternators.

Hangin' a big-ol' AD244 on that brittle bracket w/o a strut is... everyone's personal choice.

Last edited:

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and comments, the AD244 sounds like a good upgrade, I've got 2 pick-a-part yards close by, got a few other items on the list for the treasure yards as well, I will be adding a JL Audio amp and speaker box combo and here in the southwest the A/C will be heavily relied upon this summer and that ad244 sounds like the ticket for keeping the electrical up to the task!!