Alternate Headrests?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Here's the issue - I have a '95 reg cab with split bench cloth seats. I'm not a big dude, average height and slightly above average weight as of now.

Seat is slid all the way back on the rails, but to recline my seat one more click might be the comfort ticket on longer trips. My complaint? I have aftermarket tint on my solid rear window, and I'd rather not have headrest friction/dust/debris rub on the tint film. In case of an accident, I don't want to delete the headrests either.

Sooo, I see a lot of newer cars have the headrests angled forward for whiplash safety reasons. The most cost and time effective solution would be a simple protective film on top of the tint - where the headrests would rub on the window.

But I'm entertaining the idea of having a stock-ish looking solution to bring the headrests a little further forward. Might be a little safer too. Has anyone out there gotten creative with different headrests on stock seats? Or modifying stock headrests?

The only goofy thing that crossed my mind (aside of protective film) is trying to heat and bend the headrest insert bars a bit to force a forward angle.

It would be a bunch of work to completely disassemble them, probably damage the chrome finish in the process...And although I'd like to think the diameter rod used is pretty tough, could heating them weaken things in the event of a collision? I dunno...Might be overanalyzing here.

All that aside, an adventure to the junkyard with a tape measure would be another choice. Could try my luck from another model vehicle.

Thoughts?