Alex From Maine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey whats up guys! My names Alex and I'm from a small town in Maine. I don't currently own a GMT400 but will be buying one very very soon! I was actually hoping to get your opinions on a truck I just looked at. It's a 97 GMC 1500 z71 Power Everything 128,000 miles with the 5.7. The truck has a little rust that will need attention but not half as bad as most in my state. New inspection sticker. The truck has a brand new bed, bumper, ball joints, gas tank, pump and lines. It also has a set of 265 Kelly Safari TSR's with about 3,000 miles that look brand new. The downside is he said the truck was having tranny issues and would grind going in and out of overdrive, but when he topped the transmission fluid off it went away. I took the truck for a test drive and it had no issues shifting and no grinding at all:Good or Bad:. It also comes with a duralast tool box and a backrack. What do you guys think if I could get it for 3700 dollars? It looks well taken care of and drives nice. Sorry if this is in the wrong section! I'm new!

Attachments

• Gmt400.jpg
    Gmt400.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 20

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
A grinding noise going in and put of overdrive seems like it could definitely have been caused by the low fluid. With low fluid, the torque converter clutch wont engage as hard as it should, causing it to slip a bit.

And it seems like a good deal for 3700, in my opinion.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I think it's a good deal too but the transmission does worry me a bit.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would but I'm not from the area! I live about an hour and a half away. He's gonna flush the tranny and let me know how she goes after. The guy seems pretty honest. I might bite the bullet and buy it.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
At 128,000 he could be killing the tranny! Seriously. It's pretty much universal advice around here to NEVER flush the 700r4/4L60E trans, cause if you have any sludge or buildup inside the trans, itll get knocked loose during the flush, and start clogging other valves and passages, and you'll burn it up practically instantly.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What if he just dropped the pan and changed the fluid, opposed to having it actually flushed. Some fluid would still be in the torque converter but new fluid could still help it out if i'm not mistaken?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
What if he just dropped the pan and changed the fluid, opposed to having it actually flushed. Some fluid would still be in the torque converter but new fluid could still help it out if i'm not mistaken?

Definitely couldnt hurt! Its easy, take out the pan bolts, drain it, scrape the old gasket off both surfaces, pop the old filter out, new one pops in, put the pan back on, nice and snug, and fill 'er up!