Air Cond. question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJK555

Reaction score
1988 GMC K2500 5.7L There is a pressure switch near the firewall that has a cap with two wires. Once removed it exposes the connector and also a set screw between the connectors. Can anyone help with an adjustment procedure that can be done without a pressure gauge. I'm trying to reduce the time the compressor cycles. Thanks in advance.
David

mnguy55

Reaction score
1988 GMC K2500 5.7L There is a pressure switch near the firewall that has a cap with two wires. Once removed it exposes the connector and also a set screw between the connectors. Can anyone help with an adjustment procedure that can be done without a pressure gauge. I'm trying to reduce the time the compressor cycles. Thanks in advance.
David

I have a 94 K1500. It has a similar switch however it was not adjustable (no screw) I put an adjustable one on so I can play around with it. I havent messed with adjusting it yet but from what I understand turning the screw counterclockwise will reduce the shut off pressures and vice vera if you turn it clockwise. When I put the new switch on if cuts out at about 25 and 45 PSI. I am going to try to lower that to about 20 & 40. I dont think you can change the spread between the cut offs (about 20 PSI), you can only move them up or down a little. I may play with this today and if i do I'll write again with my results

DJK555

Reaction score
I have a 94 K1500. It has a similar switch however it was not adjustable (no screw) I put an adjustable one on so I can play around with it. I havent messed with adjusting it yet but from what I understand turning the screw counterclockwise will reduce the shut off pressures and vice vera if you turn it clockwise. When I put the new switch on if cuts out at about 25 and 45 PSI. I am going to try to lower that to about 20 & 40. I dont think you can change the spread between the cut offs (about 20 PSI), you can only move them up or down a little. I may play with this today and if i do I'll write again with my results

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing how you make out. On mine, anything more than a 1/4 turn seems to make the compressor stay on for a long time. I'm not sure if that will cause problems but it continues to push cold air. Let me know how yours works out.
David

mnguy55

Reaction score
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing how you make out. On mine, anything more than a 1/4 turn seems to make the compressor stay on for a long time. I'm not sure if that will cause problems but it continues to push cold air. Let me know how yours works out.
David

I played with mine yesterday and it is what I thought. Before adjsutment the cut offs were about 25 and 45 PSI. This caused my AC to cycle too much when on low. I turned the screw couterclockwise 1 turn and the points changed to about 17 and 37. Then it ran too much whne on low and iced up the reciever. I turned it back clockwise 1/2 turn and the points changed to 20 and 40. Now it seems just about right. I dont know much about AC but it seems that you want the compressor to run as much as possible without freezing up so that is where I tried to set mine.