Aftermarket tahoe suspension thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, new 96 owner.. I also have a 2012.. I love the obs style a ton more but is there anything to upgrade my 96 to feel somewhat "tighter" as it may become a dd for me?... It has 100,000 miles and is in really great shape, but I don't know if it needs shocks, springs, etc... How do determine even if it's these? Thanks, love this forum

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
What are you looking yo tighten up? Steering? Suspension?

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, both... Like I said, not sure what's worn if anything... Just seeing if there are any thoughts on what guys do with these to make them more modern and tight... Thanks

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I rebuilt The whole front end new ball joints tie rods, pitman arm idler arm (and Bracket assembly) shocks, stabalizer bar bushings, wheel bearings rotors. Front end is about as tight and smooth as can get. at a 100k your probably not too far away from needing the same. I had a lower ball joint Fail leaving my neighbor hood, so it all had to go! I see it this way if you find one steering or suspension component bad, the others aren't too far behind.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Well if you want to determine if your shock absorbers need replacement, compress one corner of the truck and bounce it up and down. If the truck seems overly bouncy or doesn't seem to dampen very well, it's probably worn out. Also if the truck nosedives when stopping or the front end jolts up from accelerating from a stop, has excessive body roll, etc; replace them. I personally would recommend Bilstein.

You have a '96 so you can do the Jeep XJ steering shaft mod (http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?12087-XJ-Steering-Shaft-Upgrade-(88-96-Trucks)) this will be one of the most effective ways of tightening up your steering.

To check if you need new ball joints, lift up the front end and grab one of the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock. If you can wiggle it back and forth with noticeable play, replace the ball joints.

While you're at it, you should replace the pitman and idler arms, sway bar end links (if applicable), and tie rod ends. This should be done with MOOG parts (ball joints too).

At 100,000 miles, all of these parts are probably OEM and should be replaced anyway, but your budget will allow you to replace what's necessary, when it's necessary.

If you want to go even further, a set of energy suspension bushings for the front end would be beneficial as well.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great advice, will do... One question, been reading about ranchero shocks.... Still go with bilsteins instead? Differences? Thanks

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
practically most offroad shock name brands are pretty good, id do all your front end, front end bushings, leaf bushings, body bushings, and steering box and it should feel like a whole new truck.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the bushings, stock rubber? I have polygraphites on my chevelle and although nice, VERY stiff... This is a road truck, not dirt...