Aftermarket brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muskratt2

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get new disc brakes for the front & rear of my 89 C1500.

Who offers them & whoe is the best for the price?

I want bigger brakes because I am going with 20" wheels so I want something that can handle them

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Getting good aftermarket "big" brakes gets expensive quickly. Not sure you're going to find anything worth buying that won't make you wonder why you don't spend the money instead on high quality forged wheels that don't weigh a ton.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good big brake set up will run you 3k all day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muskratt2

Reaction score
So with what you'll have said here, would it be just as good to go with the bigger 1 ton calipers & better pads on the front with drilled & slotted rotors & disc on the rear?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Who said anything about 1 ton calipers and worthless drilled rotors?

You want better braking without spending a fortune, look at aggressive semi-metallic pads. Prepare for very dusty front wheels.

Drum brakes stop great as long as you care to make sure they're adjusted correctly and in good shape; the only advantage disc brakes really have over them is resistance to fade. I doubt you'll be in any situation where you can induce brake fade on your truck's rear drums.

As far as calipers go, interestingly enough Wilwood has some 2 piston calipers that are allegedly bolt-on for our trucks. I have no idea what actual benefit they offer over stock calipers, though.

Did I mention drilled rotors are worthless?

Richard

Muskratt2

Reaction score
Richard you sound like my buddy who is a mechanic that owns his own shop.
He hates all the fancy stuff! His motto is keep it simple & that way if something breaks you can go up to the local parts store & get the parts.
I have thought about semi's & just upgrading the brakes lines to braided for more pressure & going with discs in the rear for looks with the wheels.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You may get slightly firmer pedal feel from the braided lines but it makes no actual difference in braking power. I've got them, nothing wrong with braided, just that lots of people attribute magical qualities to them that aren't real. :gr_grin:

Drilled rotors have less surface area than a smooth rotor. Less surface area = less braking ability. I've held this position for a long time but recently learned some interesting stuff on another forum from some guys that put in serious track time with their cars; originally drilled rotors were used in racing because pad compounds back then produced a lot of gas when they got very hot. The holes were to allow the gas to escape. They were a trade-off because as said before, they decrease the surface area of the rotor. Today's compounds produce far less gas, so those "in the know" no longer run drilled rotors. Today, drilled rotors are sold purely for bling factor and not performance.

Discs in the rear for looks, I understand that. You spend some money on nice wheels and don't want some ugly old drums showing through the spokes. Just do beware that some of the disc conversions don't work well; read lots of reviews before you throw down some money. Some here probably are rolling their eyes and know this is coming but I'll say it again, brakes are a system designed by engineers that know a lot more about braking than we do. Once you start mixing parts the results can vary a lot. It's no longer a system, but just a mix of miscellaneous parts...and often no longer works correctly.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would rebuild the drum brakes, and paint the drums, so they're not all rusty. I will never be buying huge rims that allow you to see through them either, Though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly the route I took when I put the 338's on the truck to please the g/f. ;) The drums on a 2500LD's 9.5 14 bolt are freaking huge; kinda hard to not notice them.

You must be registered for see images attach

The frame, leafs, etc. all around there got a quick aerosol overhaul too, since you could now see them through the wheels. Same up front, the control arms, sway bar, etc. got a shot.

Richard

Muskratt2

Reaction score
Richard, thanks for all the advice here as well as eveybody else that chimed in.
Antoher one of the reasons I was looking at bigger brakes is because I've heard some rumors that the systems are not the best on out trucks.
I was looking at this setup for the rear with the emergency brake option http://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-88-00-c1500-rear-disc-brakes/ .
What are some of the best pads to get or is it just best to go to the local auto parts store & pick up a set?