Advice Needed: New Crate Engine Options for 1992 K2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure what your budget is, but with the HT383E being about $5k, and most of these blue print engines being above $4k, I would consider a new GM Vortec 4 bolt crate engine. Part number 12530283. It can be picked up for around $2000. These vortec 350's made decent power and are super reliable and come with a good warranty. Another thing to keep in mind is the power rating. When these built crate engines such as the ones from blueprint are dyno'd they are usually giving the gross power ratings(no accessories, no exhaust system) where as the Vortec crate being rated at 255HP and 335 Ft-lb is a net rating(full accessories, drive belts, and full exhaust). If you were to throw one of those engines on a dyno and record gross ratings the HP would be close to 300HP. So you have to ask if spending double is worth an extra 30ish horsepower. If you want to spend over $4k, i am willing to bet this crate for $2K, plus a Weiand 142 for $2k would outpower the blueprint 383.

A Weiand 142 would be an awesome power adder, but I would budget another $1k to get the fuel system to work with a supercharger. The stock TBI system isn't able to handle boost because the ECM doesn't know how to handle anything but a 1 bar MAP sensor. There are addons, like a Flash EBL board, that can make it work but you need to have the correct type of ECM for it. If you decide to go aftermarket fuel injection or a carburator, that will add extra cost to getting the supercharger to run.

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
I put a HT383E GM crate engine in my 1999 Tahoe at 510 KM. The extra torque is amazing. Pulling a load as you describe, the extra power would be very noticeable. I liked the GM warranty also. 3 year / 160 KM as i recall.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my 94 z71 got a front/ rear main leak that’s been leaking slowly for going on 4 years and a knock (that’s getting worse) at start up and a valve seal leak (puff a white smoke when it’s first cranked up) but I’m still driving it daily to work, etc, and I still can’t decide on what Im going to do on a replacement motor either Goin blueprint or GM crate 350 or idk, I’m leaning towards a GM crate being as I use it daily and would prefer good gas mileage, I’m still up in the air on what to do ....I also heard you can the newer style GM crate 96 up vortec heads motor and use it in my truck with just putting a tbi conversion intake on it but I don’t have that confirmed either so.....

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, my 94 z71 got a front/ rear main leak that’s been leaking slowly for going on 4 years and a knock (that’s getting worse) at start up and a valve seal leak (puff a white smoke when it’s first cranked up) but I’m still driving it daily to work, etc, and I still can’t decide on what Im going to do on a replacement motor either Goin blueprint or GM crate 350 or idk, I’m leaning towards a GM crate being as I use it daily and would prefer good gas mileage, I’m still up in the air on what to do ....I also heard you can the newer style GM crate 96 up vortec heads motor and use it in my truck with just putting a tbi conversion intake on it but I don’t have that confirmed either so.....

Yes you can do that, but many say that the GM TBI to Vortec intake is way overpriced for what it does. You can buy a Vortec head carb intake and a TBI adapter for a lot less that the GM intake. It would benefit from a tune too to get the most out of those heads and roller cam.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can do that, but many say that the GM TBI to Vortec intake is way overpriced for what it does. You can buy a Vortec head carb intake and a TBI adapter for a lot less that the GM intake. It would benefit from a tune too to get the most out of those heads and roller cam.

Really... hmmm so on the tune issue whats the deal is it mail order chip or a specific company?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think there are a few places around that will do mail order chips. I learned a lot from info at Gearhead-EFI.com and started doing my own tuning. There are a few members there that will do mail order tunes also.