ADVICE: FLUSHING OUT "OIL SENDING SWITCH" PASSAGE. 92' 350V8 TBI 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Here is a diagram of the oil gallery for all of you that think that metal chips will drop in to the oil pan.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that port is tapped npt. I know of no helicoil for that but it's possible to tap it deeper to get fresh threads. Also, any filings falling down that hole will be pushed through the mains first

The cam bearing are oiled first and then the mains receive oil.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that port is tapped npt. I know of no helicoil for that but it's possible to tap it deeper to get fresh threads. Also, any filings falling down that hole will be pushed through the mains first
Do you think this passage, when you say it's possible to be tapped further, do you think I can do this without having to drill any depth into the block with like a similar size drill bit to the brass elbow. What I'm trying to ask is what are you saying, that if I run in 1/8 npt tap down there it'll just tap down under the existing threads further fairly easily?

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think this passage, when you say it's possible to be tapped further, do you think I can do this without having to drill any depth into the block with like a similar size drill bit to the brass elbow. What I'm trying to ask is what are you saying, that if I run in 1/8 npt tap down there it'll just tap down under the existing threads further fairly easily?
Yes tap deeper for new threads.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** my life, I've been going about this all wrong.. High temperature RTV, FAIL! Worse, high temp epoxy JB Weld, FAIL. Wish me luck separating the elbow from the block with this JB weld crap in the way.

TO ALL NOVICES, THERE IS NO MEDIUM.TO STOP PRESSURIZED OIL BETWEEN BRASS AND STEEL.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not to add to your frustration and I can't recall if I replied in a previous thread you may have posted when dealing with the sender/elbow. But this is where square style extractors would have saved the day. Just as many other people have broken this elbow, I did too, and previous experience taught me that the drill bit style extractors too easily break and make the problem far worse. As an experiment I decided to try the square style extractors because they looked stronger. I put one into the remains of the brass elbow and turned it right out with no issue.

I understand it's too late to help now but hopefully mentioning it can spare someone else all this drama in the future.

Richard

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was able to extract the elbow easily from the JB compound. I rethread the passage with a 1/8 NPT 27 (which is more common over 28)

I sunk the tap far and realized the brass would catch near the top so I ran a die on it as well. You can see the longer threads here..
now I'm contemplating the probable scraps of JB weld in the galley but did use a magnet for all the steel threads.

Wish me luck,

Jeff

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** me in the ass.

Oil sending switch now good.

CHINA WALL LEAKING NEXT TO SWITCH. :(