AC/Smog pump delete question. Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88RCSB4X4

Reaction score
I have a 88 5.7 TBI 4x4 and I’ve been fraying belts lengthwise and have narrowed it down to either the (non-working) AC or the useless smog pump. I’m on the cheap right now so can’t afford to throw a bunch of dough at it. Belt came off again today in the heat 90+ and a bunch of it was wrapped around the ac pulley so I’m thinking that’s the culprit. There definitely seems to be a little noise coming from either the ac or smog pump? I don’t have the money for a new or used nightmare AC job so I ordered the ac delete bracket. My question is should/can I just remove the smog pump pulley and get a shorter belt since it seems to be a little noisy and wobbly as well? If I do/can can I just leave smog pump on minus the pulley with little to no effect? Or do I need to remove the whole pump? If you leave the pump and yank the pulley do you remover the idle tensioner? I don’t care about weight or clutter just need reliability at the moment. Or should I just install theac delete pulley and hope the smog pump isn’t the culprit? I’m going to have to buy anew belt either way so I’m wonderingwhat’s the best play? Any input would beappreciated. Has a new alternator and belttensioner and ps seems good. Thx!

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the auto parts stores sell a shorter belt if you don't want to go the A/C bypass pulley route. So the choice is yours. I personally put the bypass pulley on mine.

88RCSB4X4

Reaction score
Thanks. Yea I got the ac delete pulley on and it’s running fine with the original damaged belt but the smog pump pulley still looks a little shakey.

Since I’m going to buy a new belt anyway would you suggest leaving the operable (but shakey) smog pump on or ditching the smog pulley and getting a shorter belt?

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't want to sound stupid but I'm really not sure what the smog pump looks like. Maybe someone else here can answer that question for you.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I need to go look at my truck. I have never seen one of those on my 90 Sierra. I am in Texas and I don't need to have an emissions test either since my truck is over 25 years old.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
You may still have a visual inspection....where I'm at, we don't get "tested" for emissions on 95 and older vehicles, but they still do a visual, where they look to see if all factory installed emissions equipment is installed and can fail you if not. Depends on the inspection station as to how strict they are.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my 91 305 Camaro serpentine smog delete , ac delete - no dummy-bypass pulleys -I bought a Dayco p/n 6PK2095 ...5060825 .....did the belt rerouting and it fit perfectly . FWIW .

Last edited: