AC repair/overview on a 30 year old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GPD 9612921B kit on rock auto is this kit good for r134a? i read the dryer has to have the xh7 or xh9 media or something along those lines i want to use the updated scroll pump with 134a i searched for hours could not find a answer

Interesting notes, here:

and

and

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/746834-aftermarket-r4-compressor-uac.html

I found this contact info on GPD's website, consider giving them a call.

Contact us​

Global Parts Distributors, L.L.C.
3279 Avondale Mill Rd. | Macon, GA 31216

Toll free: 1-800-722-5089

[email protected]

Last edited:

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just been through this with my '93. I can certify 2 things. 1 is that you will get excellent info here. 2 The job is a monumental pain in the ass and likely to fail. The best bet is not to DIY it. Just budget a grand and take it to a reputable shop that will put up with you bringing it back a few times til they get it right and it quits leaking.

Been there, done that, and have a closet full of T shirts. Go spend your money. Having it done right is worth it. Face it, that '94 will haul anything a new one will haul, is as fast or faster and with the AC, just as comfortable on a 104 degree day. You just saved about 60 grand or more at today's prices. Spend the grand and enjoy the cool.

If I got any quotes close to a grand I would have done that. Three shops quoted from $1500 to start to one saying it could be $3-4K

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I got any quotes close to a grand I would have done that. Three shops quoted from $1500 to start to one saying it could be $3-4K
It may be higher where you are. Also rural tends to be more reasonable than a big city. I am in a suburban area in NC and some of the independent shops are still fairly reasonable. It all boils down to how much money you can or will throw at it and how necessary the AC is. Here in the South AC is pretty much a necessity.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be higher where you are. Also rural tends to be more reasonable than a big city. I am in a suburban area in NC and some of the independent shops are still fairly reasonable. It all boils down to how much money you can or will throw at it and how necessary the AC is. Here in the South AC is pretty much a necessity.

Yeah this is rural SC. Tried to order the parts today but rock auto was acting up, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah this is rural SC. Tried to order the parts today but rock auto was acting up, so I'll try again tomorrow.
Whatever it costs to get it working compare that to what it would cost for a new truck with AC that would not haul one ounce more or get you there any faster!

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever it costs to get it working compare that to what it would cost for a new truck with AC that would not haul one ounce more or get you there any faster!

A corolla would get me there plenty faster, lets not get carried away lmao. It's a toss up on which is slower, this or my 4 cyl hyundai. Once I get the ac fixed in the Blazer though the hyundai is getting sold.