AC accumulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the thread size for the outlet of an a/c accumulator for a 1989 Cheyenne? I'm going to be making my own lines for an LS swap. Thanks

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitting should be 1" 1/16. Hose size is a 12.

And your best bet is getting the fitting but for a 10 hose. That makes it easier to match up to the later model stuff and perfect if you do like a sanden compressor swap cause low side is 10 and high side is 8

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that would be a #12 fitting w/#10 hose, correct? Is this a specialty fitting, or is it readily available from various sources?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a specialty fitting. I get my stuff from www.coldhose.com

Service and quality has always been good they are based out of FL

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a specialty fitting. I get my stuff from www.coldhose.com

Service and quality has always been good they are based out of FL
Dropped that should be the same size accumulator fitting for most older GM R12 stuff? I need to convert my 87 G20 to a 97 L31 compressor myself. I have found the compressor manifold fitting off the shelf but the condenser and accumulator are still the factory R12 sized stuff. I had the R4 high mounted when I had the LS in the van and the stock lines worked but I want to get rid of that pile of garbage and matching scrap metal steel horseshoe bracket that came on the TBI 305 using the Valeo HT6 replacement I have along with the Vortec brackets. The Vortec compressor has the added bonus of already having a high side low/high pressure cutout switch as well.

I already have the compressor fitting for the HT6, it is the same fitting as an A6, DA6 or R4 and is #8 and #10. I also know the condenser is a #8 male o'ring but for the life of me I cannot figure out what the evaporator/accumulator outlet is other than it is a SAE male o-ring fitting.

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped that should be the same size accumulator fitting for most older GM R12 stuff? I need to convert my 87 G20 to a 97 L31 compressor myself. I have found the compressor manifold fitting off the shelf but the condenser and accumulator are still the factory R12 sized stuff. I had the R4 high mounted when I had the LS in the van and the stock lines worked but I want to get rid of that pile of garbage and matching scrap metal steel horseshoe bracket that came on the TBI 305 using the Valeo HT6 replacement I have along with the Vortec brackets.

I already have the compressor fitting for the HT6, it is the same fitting as an A6, DA6 or R4 and is #8 and #10. I also know the condenser is a #8 male o'ring but for the life of me I cannot figure out what the evaporator/accumulator outlet is other than it is a SAE male o-ring fitting.
From my experience everything square body Era and early obs Era where all the same 1" 16 with 12 hose.

I'd almost bet even 70s stuff is the same

also from my experience with gm is the r12 stuff is standard and the 134 stuff is metric

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my experience everything square body Era and early obs Era where all the same 1" 16 with 12 hose.

The late 60s and early 70s stuff is the same in my experience. I used a replacement ac manifold hose for like a 1990 TBI 454 squre with a DA6 converting a 1968 C10 to a factory serpentine setup using a DA6 equipped setup from a 92ish Astro van.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

also from my experience with gm is the r12 stuff is standard and the 134 stuff is metric
I have noticed the same thing on metric vs SAE except on some very late R12 and very early R134a systems within the changeover year range. 92-94 year models usually. For example the 92-96 G-vans used the same condensor and manifold hose fitting on the compressor and condenser ends, yet 92 was R12 and later models were R134a. The 92 hose was 92 only, the 93+ hose had a metric accumulator fitting. I just tried to locate a hose for a 92 the other day, none out there. 92 had its own aluminum liquid hardline as well that mated to the newer style condenser and older evaporator core. I physically compared the evaporator core between 92 and 93 and the inlets and outlets were different sized threads. I thought maybe GM kept the inlets the same and an evaporator and accumulator swap to the 93+ would get it up and going easily. The evaporator core in those vans comes out of the front of the ac box underhood easily with a few screws. So on the G-vans atleast 1992 is the odd man out factory bstrd child.

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing on metric vs SAE except on some very late R12 and very early R134a systems within the changeover year range. 92-94 year models usually. For example the 92-96 G-vans used the same condensor and manifold hose fitting on the compressor and condenser ends, yet 92 was R12 and later models were R134a. The 92 hose was 92 only, the 93+ hose had a metric accumulator fitting. I just tried to locate a hose for a 92 the other day, none out there. 92 had its own aluminum liquid hardline as well that mated to the newer style condenser and older evaporator core. I physically compared the evaporator core between 92 and 93 and the inlets and outlets were different sized threads. I thought maybe GM kept the inlets the same and an evaporator and accumulator swap to the 93+ would get it up and going easily. The evaporator core in those vans comes out of the front of the ac box underhood easily with a few screws. So on the G-vans atleast 1992 is the odd man out factory bstrd child.
I've too ran across some odd ball crap in the crossover years.

And you can mix and match that stuff. For example my 92 dually already had most its system replaced with stock r12 stuff that was standard.
But I had a late model crossflow condenser, also the manifold head that bolts to the compressor is metric, so my lines are standard/metric, including the liquid line it's rubber now no issues and that'll be the third one I've done like that