A/C "moan" 1989 K1500. 350 tbi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Recently put new AC compressor, drier, expansion valve, o-rings, pressure switch, etc. on the truck. Best I can describe the noise is a "moan" under the hood at a very specific rpm ONLY when the AC is running. Truck does not have a tach, but it happens around 25 mph, and is worse when i'm coasting. I can slightly press the gas pedal to make it go away. It's almost like something is vibrating under the hood at a certain rpm/frequency. I've checked for loose brackets, etc. till i'm blue in the face. And it's odd that it only does it when running the AC. Anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently put new AC compressor... Best I can describe the noise is a "moan" under the hood at a very specific rpm ONLY when the AC is running.

I believe on that truck there's a bracket (really a "rod") that bolts to the back of the compressor and to the intake manifold to provide stiffness / support. There might be another, similar "rod" from the compressor's mounting bracket to the water pump. Do you have something similar?

My 1995 S10 V6 4.3L had both on its R4 compressor IIRC.

Reaction score
I believe on that truck there's a bracket (really a "rod") that bolts to the back of the compressor and to the intake manifold to provide stiffness / support. There might be another, similar "rod" from the compressor's mounting bracket to the water pump. Do you have something similar?

My 1995 S10 V6 4.3L had both on its R4 compressor IIRC.
It's just got that one rod at the top, going to the manifold, and it's tight. Thanks though. It's driving me crazy! Ha ha

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine has the rod for the compressor and a rod going from the T-Stat housing to the bracket but, mine still whines too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Possibly, but i dont think thats the case because it only does it at a very specific speed/rpm. I can literally almost rest my foot on the gas pedal when it starts moaning, and it goes away.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly, but i dont think thats the case because it only does it at a very specific speed/rpm. I can literally almost rest my foot on the gas pedal when it starts moaning, and it goes away.

Do you have a mechanic’s stethoscope? They are handy for things like this…

Last edited:

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am getting a similar noise. I have replaced the idler pully, tensioner and pulley, alternator a couple of years ago and compressor just in the past month. It happens even when the A/C is not on. It is intermittent and has been for several years. I notice at idle when just started for a minute, maybe. Having just had the A/C system (all new) just charged I now hear it for longer sometimes. Today when it "spooled down" after engine shut down, I figured out what it is. Would you like to know?

Ahhh, OK. It is the fan clutch.

Cheers,
Glenn