A/C Help After 5.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Swapped a 5.3 from a 2002 Tahoe into our 97 2 door Tahoe. We have been driving the thing all over the place because it is so much fun to drive now.
You must be registered for see images attach

But it's getting pretty warm out now so I really need to figure out the A/C.

The compressor is a Sanden 508.

I have the A/C Low Pressure Switch at the Drier and the A/C High Pressure Switch installed in the high pressure line between the condenser and compressor. I used this wiring diagram...

I also tried this wiring diagram...

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also found this wiring diagram.

It has an A/C High Pressure Recirculation Switch.

That makes me wonder if what I think is the A/C High Pressure Switch installed in my high pressure hose, is actually a A/C High Pressure Recirculation Switch, and that is why the A/C is not working.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, my A/C still does not work. Honestly I just haven't had a lot of time to mess with it. Health bull$h!t. Now that I am feeling better I really want to get the A/C working so we can enjoy this thing again.

Is there anyone here that has gone through this after doing an LS swap? I'm handy with a wrench, but I'm just not sure where to start with diagnosing what's wrong. Is it something under the hood? Is the problem at the dash? Does it have anything to do with the LS ECU? Does the ECU have anything to do with the A/C?

Is this thread in the correct spot or should it be moved?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have asked any of the LS swap boards what's the preferred method? I would not use the 99, your a 97 stick with the known animal. The HVAC is still 97 design you haven't changed anything except the better compressor, right?
You select center vents; AC , Recirculating buttons pushed in; fan switch to high blower. AC and Recirc' buttons illuminated? Fan works ? What happens under hood? Compressor clutch engagement? Y or N
Then go from here. :waytogo:

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't changed anything other than the compressor, but when doing the wiring, their are wires coming from the new ECU.

I'm going to mess with it today. I need to reacquaint myself with the project after sitting for so long. I know nothing happens under the hood. I can't remember what is happening at the dash.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good lookin hoe. You might have yours taken care of, but this guy has a fairly helpful video, or at least kind of simplified, though it may be useless info that you know already. I'll have to deal with it also before next summer here. Finishing up a 6.0 swap in a 97 myself.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little off topic, but that is one beautiful Tahoe would love to see more pictures if possible.