99 Tahoe 4 door fuel tank struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlienChevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone else on here had a nightmare of a time finding a new fuel tank? I filled up my newly acquired 99 Tahoe and found fuel leaking. After further investigation I've found that the fuel tank has rusted off the tangs that secure the pump down (RIP). I cannot find anything online, I've even called my local GM dealer and of course it is discontinued. Anyone have any ideas where to locate one, have a used one for sale or advice on converting it to another tank?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if i was in a better position Id sell yah mine. But its not a bolt in, but can use a 2 door tahoe tank. need a crossmember for the straps. i want to do this to both of mine...

AlienChevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the problem, I found a few different sources with a Google search. They all seem to be made by Spectra.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

The issue is that the fuel tanks for 2 door and 4 door Tahoe’s are different. There are tons of places that offer the 2 door tank, 4 doors on the other hand ☠️

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The issue is that the fuel tanks for 2 door and 4 door Tahoe’s are different. There are tons of places that offer the 2 door tank, 4 doors on the other hand ☠️

I see that. Man if I was you I try to retro fit a gmt800 tank or junk yard

AlienChevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news! After searching all night for repair options I’ve found a company that makes repair kits for my exact problem. It uses a plate that is screwed and sealed into the top of the plate to secure the pump down since the tangs / tabs have rusted off. It looks similar to this. I’ll either buy this one or fabricate one myself. I’ll post my success/failure here once done.

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good news! After searching all night for repair options I’ve found a company that makes repair kits for my exact problem. It uses a plate that is screwed and sealed into the top of the plate to secure the pump down since the tangs / tabs have rusted off. It looks similar to this. I’ll either buy this one or fabricate one myself. I’ll post my success/failure here once done.

You must be registered for see images attach

So you would be converting the lock? Wasnt it a snap ring style before?

AlienChevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you would be converting the lock? Wasnt it a snap ring style before?
Essentially. Instead of it having the twist lock it'll be secured down with the plate and screwed into the tank. Not really the route I wanted to take. I have a call out the company as of this morning, once I confirm the style I need I'll just order it up. While I'm there I'm going to replace the fuel pump