99 GMC Suburban Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Mine is the stock GM "pewter", "bronze" or whatever it's called with a duplicolor "high performance graphite" bottom. It's actually caliper paint, but all it really is is flat enamel. I topped it with duplicolor clear and it's glossy like the OEM paint. Separated by a 1/4" red pinstripe to tie in the red bits like the "4x4" decal, "GMC" emblems and "SLE" badging.

I would also suggest cutting your rub strips down and color matching them to the bottom color. Or leave them black if you go black on the bottom.

Did it on mine and (IMHO) worked out great:

You must be registered for see images attach

(strip on the bed has since been completed and currently painting the "GMC" red for the emblem)

Mine's not a burb, but you get the idea.

Maybe get rid of the chrome wheel well trim. I''d probably ditch 'em and get some bushwhackers or similar. But that's matter of personal preferences, go with what you like.

I would do new door pins on the drivers door first though.....

:)

*edit*

Just found a pic in my bucket with the rub strip completed:

Still no red "GMC" yet though.....:(

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't do a color change.
Why not?

Mine is the stock GM "pewter", "bronze" or whatever it's called with a duplicolor "high performance graphite" bottom. It's actually caliper paint, but all it really is is flat enamel. I topped it with duplicolor clear and it's glossy like the OEM paint. Separated by a 1/4" red pinstripe to tie in the red bits like the "4x4" decal, "GMC" emblems and "SLE" badging.

I would also suggest cutting your rub strips down and color matching them to the bottom color. Or leave them black if you go black on the bottom.

Did it on mine and (IMHO) worked out great:

(strip on the bed has since been completed and currently painting the "GMC" red for the emblem)

Mine's not a burb, but you get the idea.

Maybe get rid of the chrome wheel well trim. I''d probably ditch 'em and get some bushwhackers or similar. But that's matter of personal preferences, go with what you like.

I would do new door pins on the drivers door first though.....

:)

*edit*

Just found a pic in my bucket with the rub strip completed:

Still no red "GMC" yet though.....:(
I've been following your thread religiously.

Anything else?
Actually, yes. Step bars rather than running boards. I have no clue if/how that will turn out.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Leave it red, man! Or hold on to it long enough for me to get a black 'burb and I'll trade you. I want a red one, they're oddly hard to find. My plans are a 2/4 drop, trash the roof rack, rollpan it, and a good set of 15" muscle rims (not sure what style yet) with good ol' white letter BFGs

Powerplant plans are a whole different story....

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Leave it red, man! Or hold on to it long enough for me to get a black 'burb and I'll trade you. I want a red one, they're oddly hard to find. My plans are a 2/4 drop, trash the roof rack, rollpan it, and a good set of 15" muscle rims (not sure what style yet) with good ol' white letter BFGs

Powerplant plans are a whole different story....
When tax time rolls around, I'm lifting it, regardless of color. 4x4 rear axle, 2WD lift in the front with 2500 rotors, (hopefully) 3500 calipers, and of course new rims and tires.
That's a lot of real estate for a real, full repaint. if you paint it another color it will always be red inside, underneath, under the hood, etc.
True.