98 z71 need help guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerry mize

Reaction score
I have a 98 5.7 vortec 4x4 it's my baby love this truck its developed a strange issue though and I cant seem to pin point it truck still has lots of power no bogging or anything but has miss fire code and bucks and constant rpm or when towing under easy or hard throttle does fine though ? Any suggestions ? Thanks for the help

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the code...P0300 or one for a specific cylinder?

One possibility is a restricted catalytic converter (or both of them) but that is usually the result of another issue. Here are the pressure test diagnostics for testing the converters...

You must be registered for see images attach

jerry mize

Reaction score
Thank you sir its showing random misfire and cam correlation but timing seems to be dead nuts

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that P1345?

That usually comes when the distributor is removed and the crank/camshaft offset is not reset. Using a scanner, the CMP Retard is set to zero degrees (plus or minus 2) at 1000-rpm. That is a separate value from the actual timing which is set by the computer.

The distributor hold down bolt is loosened and the distributor rotated until the correct offset is read.

If the distributor hasn’t been touched then the code could come from a worn timing chain/gear, damaged distributor gear or bad CMP or CKP sensor.

You must be registered for see images

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a head's up, there is a way to use torque pro and a cheap ELM327 scanner to read crank/ cam correlation.

Cheaper than paying someone with a scanner and nice to have the tolls at home for other things..

jerry mize

Reaction score
Thanks guys I just order a double row timing chain set and a distributor to be safe old trucks got my heart strings bout time it went for the wallet lol

jerry mize

Reaction score
Thanks for advice on scanner also 15 bucks on Amazon hell that's a no brainer

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like your ICM but I don't know if it'd throw a misfire code?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys I just order a double row timing chain set and a distributor to be safe old trucks got my heart strings bout time it went for the wallet lol

Save your existing distributor hold down bracket. Some of the new distributors come with a bracket attached which does not allow adjustment for the CMP offset. Pop the new one off in that case.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Save your existing distributor hold down bracket. Some of the new distributors come with a bracket attached which does not allow adjustment for the CMP offset. Pop the new one off in that case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers