98 K1500 rear end on 92 C1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So OP, why are you trying to go 6 lug nut? Rim compability? Cool factor?

My nephew got my BILs "old Chebby" '91 ECSB C1500 and did an "all out" 6.0 LQ4 nitrous Turbo 400 beast. Said would be pushing 1000HP.

Rear end was still stock. We were talking about 14 bolts, but he mentioned lug nut pattern. I really don't know all the info. about 5 lug vs 6 lug. A few months ago we were talking about it and he said he was thinking of swapping a Ford rear axle. "Ok," I said. "I know Ford makes some strong rear ends."

Last I talked to him he had changed his mind and was going to build his 10 bolt to handle the power, on advice from guys running similar set ups at the track.

Then there's the guys swearing they busted their 10 bolts with stock engines?

I'm completely lost on the topic, LOL.

pokey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted the 3.42 in my 95 c1500,to a limited slip 3.73 gear from a k1500 a while ago.This swap was a bolt in.As was noted in another reply,the rear end has to be a 10 bolt.Unless the k1500 has the larger 14 bolt rear.I thought that all I would have to do was to switch out the k1500 six bolt axles for the five bolt axles,as everything else was identical,same leaf spring pads,u joint flange,and the width of the rear end.Heres what I found.The c1500 has a 8.5 ring gear.The k1500 has a 8.625 ring gear.The five lug axles will not fit the k1500 carrier.The solution was to have new axles made.I spoke with the people at MOSER ENGINEERING,as they offer stock replacement axles,along with high performance components.Both of these are 30 spline,there length being different.Be sure to tell them that you want the same length as the k1500 axles,but with the 5x5 bolt pattern of the c1500.The only other change was to swap out my c1500 backing plates to the k1500 differental,as the brakes and drums are different.The cost back in 2012 was $347.43 ,with shipping.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There were 2 spline counts offered on the C1500, what year parts were you working with?

FarmTrok

Reaction score
I converted the 3.42 in my 95 c1500,to a limited slip 3.73 gear from a k1500 a while ago.This swap was a bolt in.As was noted in another reply,the rear end has to be a 10 bolt.Unless the k1500 has the larger 14 bolt rear.I thought that all I would have to do was to switch out the k1500 six bolt axles for the five bolt axles,as everything else was identical,same leaf spring pads,u joint flange,and the width of the rear end.Heres what I found.The c1500 has a 8.5 ring gear.The k1500 has a 8.625 ring gear.The five lug axles will not fit the k1500 carrier.The solution was to have new axles made.I spoke with the people at MOSER ENGINEERING,as they offer stock replacement axles,along with high performance components.Both of these are 30 spline,there length being different.Be sure to tell them that you want the same length as the k1500 axles,but with the 5x5 bolt pattern of the c1500.The only other change was to swap out my c1500 backing plates to the k1500 differental,as the brakes and drums are different.The cost back in 2012 was $347.43 ,with shipping.

alright well update we finished it last night everything bolted up no problem at all. Only thing different was the stance width which not a problem for me al all. But i did notice (i might be going crazy) that it looks like it lifted the back end up a little bit, like there is a bigger wheel gap? I should have measured before and after but maybe it is the same as it was before and i just haven't seen it with wheels on it in a long time.

could that be possible I have been thinking about how it could have still can’t understand we didn't add blocks or anything. Do yall know anything?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright well update we finished it last night everything bolted up no problem at all. Only thing different was the stance width which not a problem for me al all. But i did notice (i might be going crazy) that it looks like it lifted the back end up a little bit, like there is a bigger wheel gap? I should have measured before and after but maybe it is the same as it was before and i just haven't seen it with wheels on it in a long time.

could that be possible I have been thinking about how it could have still can’t understand we didn't add blocks or anything. Do yall know anything?

Did you swap the entire rear end from K1500? Did you also use the leaf spring blocks from K1500?

The K1500 had a bigger blocks than C1500. Well, that may be on GMT900s, but I think also applies to GMT400s.

And it's like a 2" difference, so pretty noticeable.

On my GMT 900 Silverado 2wd I added a lift kit that consists of the 4x4 rear lift block and front steering knuckles. I thought it lifted the front too much. Looks "leveled." I'm not a fan of the look. 3 bags of 80 lb concrete mix on the bed and the rear sags bad. I prefer natural rear rake.

Maybe now lift the front?

Last edited:

FarmTrok

Reaction score
Did you swap the entire rear end from K1500? Did you also use the leaf spring blocks from K1500?

The K1500 had a bigger blocks than C1500. Well, that may be on GMT900s, but I think also applies to GMT400s.

And it's like a 2" difference, so pretty noticeable.

On my GMT Silverado 2wd I added a lift kit that consists of the 4x4 rear lift block and front steering knuckles. I thought it lifted the front too much. Looks "leveled." I'm not a fan of the look. 3 bags of 80 lb concrete mix on the bed and the rear sags bad. I prefer natural rear rake.

Maybe now lift the front?

no blocks or leaf springs were added. And its lifted 6 in the front and nothing in the back. I think its the same i just havent seen it in a while