98 k1500 paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently had some body work done, because my truck got blasted with hail back in august and they had to re-paint the drivers side from the front panel back to the cab. Just the bed didn't get painted. And the paint doesn't seem to "match" the rest of the truck where they didn't paint. It doesn't seem to be the correct color white. What could have happened? I know they could of used the wrong color. But i had it done by the what the insurance company recommended. I can tell that its been painted. Could this be just because of the new finish? Or should i be concerned? It looks almost like a tan to me. I don't think pictures would show that, but if you want i could upload some pictures. Can any body that has had any paint experience recommend any thing? Thanks!

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
It's probably that your paint has faded. If it's the original paint then it's been on there for over 10 years, and unless it's been stored or very well maintained, chances are it isn't going to look like paint that has just been laid.

On the other hand, they could have mixed the paint wrong. My 2011 was recently hit in the rear and needed a new bumper. I took it to the shop that my insurance company recommended, and when I was called to pick it up, the bumper was almost a shade of blue on my charcoal colored car. Needless to say, I made them redo it.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say my paint is in pretty good condition. Some people say its not noticeable, I think it really is. I'm just the kinda person that likes things done right.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
If you're not satisfied then go back and show the body shop that your paint does not match. Probably would have been better to say something right away though.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, that would of been a good idea, although i didn't really notice up until a few months ago. Its weird lol.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
White is one of the hardest colors to match. This is because there are so many variances of it. The difference in the paint could be caused by a few different things. The paint shade chosen was wrong. However, assuming that the paint is the right shade the difference can be caused by the wrong number of base coats and/or wrong number of clear coats. If the shop used to few or too many coats of either the base or the clear than the color changes. This could definitely cause your slight / moderate color differences.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had body work done on a white vehicle before, but yea i know its probably extremely difficult to match. I just don't know if i should make a big deal out of it. What do you guys think?

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried sanding it down and using some rubbing compound to kill some of that clear you might be seeing?

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your probably right. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I'll probably just get sick of not liking it and end up taking it back any ways just to see if they will do any thing.