98 C1500 Should i buy it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my 1992 C1500 was wrecked by someone who ran a red light and hit me. So I have been looking around for another c1500. I found a 1998 same paint color as my 92. It has 220,256 miles on it. Now if i am not wrong this truck has the fuel injected engine compared to the carbureted engine in the 1992. Since this is an updated engine, my question was, should I get this truck with this many miles? What are the common problems on the vortec engines? Is there a difference in reliability with the vortec or the carbureted engine?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Well your 92 was not carbed unless it was changed to carb at some point. Stock 88-95 trucks came as throttle body injection motors. Both are fuel injected, they're just different.

As for the problems, I believe the heater quick disconnect on the intake manifold can become a problem and the injector spider can too. But don't quote me on any of this. I drive a tbi

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need much more information about the truck in question to make an educated guess as to whether it's a good candidate. Any vehicle can be worn out and unreliable in less than 100k, or just broken in at 200k depending on what it's used for and how well it's been maintained. My '97 has nearly 230k and looks/runs/drives like one with maybe half that much. The tranny was rebuilt @ 160k, intake was done by previous owner. There are things I'll still improve (headlights) but give me a day to change the fluids and I'd take off across the country without a worry. Taken care of, they're great trucks.

Best wishes,
Steve

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my 1992 C1500 was wrecked by someone who ran a red light and hit me. So I have been looking around for another c1500. I found a 1998 same paint color as my 92. It has 220,256 miles on it. Now if i am not wrong this truck has the fuel injected engine compared to the carbureted engine in the 1992. Since this is an updated engine, my question was, should I get this truck with this many miles? What are the common problems on the vortec engines? Is there a difference in reliability with the vortec or the carbureted engine?
My decision to buy or not would depend a lot on the price?!

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

These are the only pictures of the truck listed on the ad. It is at a dealer not to far from me, but decided to get the opinion of the forums first, as i got pretty screwed over when i purchased my 1992 C1500.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
As long as all the fluids look good, it test drives good i think i would offer around 2800 for it and see where it goes from there. 3400 isnt bad since it does look pretty clean. Intake gaskets are another common problem but you can pretty much take care of all the common problems when you do intake gaskets (mpfi, quick connect, good gaskets) and have have a good truck for many years to come if you keep up on maintinance.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks clean for the miles. Except for the ugly rims and tires that look like they've seen a few curbs