98 5.7 vrt- new napa spider inj. assy. all 4 o2 snsrs new. ****** still ain't right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the inj. assy. and MAF replaced about 2 weeks ago. Next day ses came on, scan said one of the 02 sensors was doing something. I've been f'ing with them off and on for a while so I went and got all 4 of em. Drove it a few days, gas usage a little better. Today ses came on again. Scanned it and came up with this bovine feces....c0237-rr. speed sensor, 0172/0175-rt. and lt. bank too rich, 0300-eng. misfire detected, 0430-cat. below threshold rt. bank, 1153- 02 insuff. switching upstream rt. bank. And now the ses is off and it idles somewhat better but it still ain't right. How is the rr. speed sensor affected by this other stuff? I reckon it might be that mickey mouse intake leaking (again). I believe that was an R and D brain fart that left some skid marks. In the past when it leaked there was some signs of coolant. Haven't seen any this time or smelled it. Anybody make intake gaskets that last like they should? I never had many intake problems in the past with quadrajet style. This will be 4th time in this truck if that's what it is. I've tried the "spray around the intake" deal before, never had any rpm change. I'm gonna try the Tampa Nugget technique when I get to the house. They say it will show it sometimes. I 'magine most of you are fast readers so this ain't as long as it looks. Any wisdom is gratefully accepted. Word up, y'all.

Attachments

• th_0420131351_zps2d474c8a-1.jpg
    th_0420131351_zps2d474c8a-1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gaskets NEED to be the problem solver by fel pro, MS98000T. Have you cleared the codes since the intake was done? The bovine feces (love that term) may just need to be cleared and try, try again. I know that you didn't install the spider but the lay out of the spider isn't like you would expect it. It looks like a spider that has to pee really bad and its legs are crossed. I have purchased 2 vortec trucks that had the spider installed improperly and didn't run half bad. If you were dumping a bunch of fuel down the cats before, you may have killed them causing the p0430.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the input. The next day ses came back on, got it scanned, said 0300-random misfire. I disconnected battery while i washed it this a.m. Drove here and there this afternoon and it came back on, had it scanned and it was back to 0172,0175,0300 and 430. Number 1 buzz cut is the only reason I ain't pulled my hair out. Back in the winter, that was a colder one than it's been in a while for Ga., when I started it cold I'm pretty sure I could hear the high pitch whistle of a vacuum leak that would stop after a couple of minutes as it began to warm up. As it's gotten spring and summer I don't hear it. I'm thinking it's possibly gonna be the intake. (Which is not what I wanted to realize.)I guess there isn't as much "shrinkage" after it cools off as there is in the winter. At least my rear speed sensor didn't show up again. But if the intake is sucking in too much air would it not be running lean on both sides? Or is it a matter of where the leak is as to what it's throwing out of whack? I'm fixing to eat a piece of pound cake. Thanks.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have a bum spider assembly. With the 0430, 1153, and bank 1 and 2 too rich codes, you're getting way more fuel than the fuel trims can compensate for, either because of a leak or faulty FPR. Vacuum leaks will cause the ECM to add fuel to the short term and long term trims, and will throw a system too lean if it maxes out the trims and still doesn't get proper AF ratio. Too rich is just the opposite. The system pulls all the fuel it can via the trims, and if the exhaust is still too rich it throws a code.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the misfire I'd check the cap and rotor. Take a close look at the rotor and see if you can detect and tracking on it from the contact to a mounting screw. Lots of cheap bad caps out there, even Delco ones are crap.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a fuel pressure tester from O'reilly's for 53.00, got back to my truck, cranked it up and the ses was off. Go figure. The Haynes book said 60-66 psi was normal range. I hooked up tester anyhow and the first pressure reading after on-off 3 or 4 times with ign. switch it read about 58. I let it set for about 10 min. and the pressure stayed up on it. After running it a few min. I turned it off and checked it same as first time and it wouldn't get back up to 58. I think it was 53 of 54. But it still held there for several min. I found the elbow (looks like a plug wire end) on plastic tube opposite end of pcv was cracked on the backside where you wouldn't be able to see it without removing it. Put a new one on it from GM this evening. Haven't driven it much yet. I'll be in it all day tomorrow and I'll know more.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having been through all this with my own truck, I feel your pain. The solution I would suggest (after the Fel Pro MS98000T), would be to swap the piece of crap intake manifold system for a TPI. Then I would do the 411 swap. I would have done these to mine but I swapped trucks with my son, so I dont have to deal with it any more.