97 remote starter install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want a remote start, but my truck came with factory keyless entry.
Should I buy a full aftermarket unit with start and keyless entry? If I go that way is it as simple as removing my factory keyless control unit, and just connecting the wires to the new unit, then wire in the start?
Thanks in advance!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would personally buy an aftermarket good alarm that has it all and do away with the factory keyless entry, I have a Viper that I really like, but the install makes a lot of difference, I do all of that myself.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I buy the full kit is it as simple as pulling the wires out of the factory unit, and "plugging" them into the new one?
I'm doing the install myself, wiring is something I can handle.
What model Viper do you use?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just unplugged my factory unit, and then tapped in to all the wires I needed seperately and soldered all connections and I kept everything hidden, there are certain year's though where you need a Bypass module, but I don't think 97 need's it, my 96 has a full wiring harness and ecm out of a 97 in it and I didn't need one for it.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cool, now a dumb question.. where is the factory unit?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is mounted up beside the steering column, up high, it's kind of a pain to get to but doable.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright, will go digging tonight!
Local guy has a viper 5701 with motion sensor for $100 that he pulled out when he traded in his car. Should I go for it?

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well... I cant find my module. Maybe I don't have one. Would it be where my potter and brumfield vba 2002 module is now if I had keyless?

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'97 C/K1500 started the security system. Mostly Suburbans, but I have seen stripped W/Ts with it too. I have seen a few '97 trucks without it as well. Easy to tell - if there is a security light that comes on when the key is first turned on.

I've got 20+ years in remote starter installs. These trucks are cake to do if you know what you are doing. I leave the OEM keyless alone and install my system beside it. The only thing needed is the door lock wires at the keyless module above the gas pedal.

Very important thing to keep in mind on '95 up GM trucks when doing a remote starter install. There are two ignition wires that must be powered up during a remote start. The main is Pink and the 2nd ign wire is white. If the white wire is not powered up the tranny will go into a limp home mode after a remote start.

I use Crimestopper products because they work great, nice to install, and they are NOT DEI (Directed Electronics) products. Many years ago a Viper system was a decent system. I can't say so much for products manufactured in the last 10 or so years. Clifford used to be the best aftermarket security/remote starters by a long shot. Now they are owned by DEI and are just another garbage DEI product with Clifford's name. I just installed a DEI product in a 2005 C1500 for a guy last saturday. It was the biggest POS I have seen in a while. I know alot of people use them and have luck with them. I hate 'em. I typically install only my own products, but made a special concession for this customer. I have done alot of starters for them and his son sent him the DEI unit for xmas.

I have run a small side business for the last 15 years and have used Crimestopper products exclusively. I just sent in my first warranty return in 8 years (on something other than a remote) last week. It still worked, but was having trouble programming a replacement remote. It is also a 10 year old unit. I have had some other items go bad, but very few. Crimestopper is who told me the last item I sent in was 8 years ago. I do anywhere between 30-60 remote starters a season and have very little issues. I am one guy - I work a day job and hustle remote starters evenings/weekends to make a few extra bucks.

OP - if you are in or near Western PA, I'll take care of you. I stock the bypass module for most common vehicles. I always have 1 or more GM truck modules in stock.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am also NOT a fan of any DEI (Directed Electronics) product! I had a aftermarket DEI Remote Start in my 94' when I bought the truck, and the key fob didn't work (or so I thought). So I spent $60 on a new key fob from a place in southern Ohio IIRC, and upon receiving the new key fob it would not program with the remote start unit. So I called up the DEI dealer I purchased it from, and it was like talking to a recording. So I tried contacting the manufacturer (DEI) and it is IMPOSSIBLE to even TALK to ANYONE there. They just give you a recording saying to contact your local dealer. My remote start was unit apparently dead. Long story short, the key fob got returned, the unit removed and no other DEI product will ever enter my shop.

Now I know Bulldog gets a lot of bad rap, but they do have excellent customer support through there website! I haven't installed one of the Bulldog remote starters yet, but I did install a Keyless Entry Unit and that was a piece of cake to install!