97 GMC LS SWAP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been away from this forum for awhile now but I may be back. I picked up this 1997 GMC with 81k miles on it! I was thinking about using it for a doner truck from my wrecked 95 z71.:hmm: It's a clean truck as it should be with 81k miles. I'm just not a big step side fan:nono: I do believe that this truck should be several pounds lighter than my 95 z71 was so it would be quicker to start!

What do you guys think? Here's the link to my old build for those that don't remember.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?7340-95-RC-Z71-LQ9-project

Here's a few pics of the truck I picked up!
You must be registered for see images attach

My wrecked truck from June 2013

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Do it!! It's definately lighter

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a great truck for the donor, of course I love a stepside!

I'm sure it would grow on me. My wife wants me to get something older and I wouldn't mind a square body myself. We'll see I just hate letting my other truck sit with all the money I put into the engine!

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a great truck for the donor, of course I love a stepside!

I'm sure it would grow on me. My wife wants me to get something older and I wouldn't mind a square body myself. We'll see I just hate letting my other truck sit with all the money I put into the engine!

Why would it be lighter?

If it is, not by much....just sayin
nice truck BTW

It's 2wd not 4wd. Also the step side bed may be lighter than a fleetside but I'm not sure on that.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spent a few days doing a complete detail! Also removed the rain guards and chrome wheel trim.

Thinking about getting rid of the bed cover.:hmm:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
New Truck looks good! And a stepside bed is about 100 lbs heavier is what I've always heard. I use to work with a few guys that raced 400's and that's what they always said. And I've helped a buddy take one off and swap on a fleet side the fleet side felt a little lighter to me.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Stepsides are definately lighter if anyone disagrees come to my house and lift one of each