97 ecsb 5.7L Vortec Overheating Issue!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So lately when I've been driving for about 5-10 minutes or so my temp gauge goes up and check gauges light comes on. If i crank the heat on high and give it a little gas it usually will start to fall back down and sometimes even drops way back down close to 100. I replaced the thermostat today thinking this might be the quickest and easiest fix but no luck. Still the same issue. When I'm idling at a stop light and have the heat on it blows cold, but as soon as i step on it, it starts to get warm again.

I'm thinking either water pump or heater core... what do you guys think?

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
coolant level is full, and yes when first started the hose going to the thermostat is colder but as soon as i turn the heat on it starts to get warmer..

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nope thats why i was thinking maybe the heater core is plugged?

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
or the line is plugged. on your passenger side floor board youll see a plastic black container thing start your truck and put your hand underneath it, if it gets warm, heater core may be leaking. prolly wouldn't be a bad idea to change it anyhow.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea except heater cores are expensive as hell and are a ***** to replace...

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flush the core with your water hose just disconnect both hoses and flush it out.