97 Chevy c1500 4.3 v6 - Remove Alternator Bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...There's a gap between the water pump and timing chain cover. I dropped the EGR gasket and 1 bolt when I was replacing it once. Had to get new.

Oh, so you're carrying a spare :cool:

I found a wrench I didn't know I had dropped once. It was quite some time ago..... I think I found it when I was swapping radiators, it was down near where the transmission coolant lines go into the radiator.

Normally, I'm able to retrieve dropped tools and parts. I start very carefully looking to see where it went, and then very carefully retrieve it, so I don't bump it, or drop it again and make it even worse.

Reaction score
Oh, so you're carrying a spare :cool:

I found a wrench I didn't know I had dropped once. It was quite some time ago..... I think I found it when I was swapping radiators, it was down near where the transmission coolant lines go into the radiator.

Normally, I'm able to retrieve dropped tools and parts. I start very carefully looking to see where it went, and then very carefully retrieve it, so I don't bump it, or drop it again and make it even worse.
Unfortunately it's contacting one of the pulleys and I can't see it. It's making a pinging noise.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
This happens to me and I never see it again. Lost a brass nut off my cut off switch and herd it hit the frame but never found it. Alien part abduction? Maybe.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This happens to me and I never see it again. Lost a brass nut off my cut off switch and herd it hit the frame but never found it. Alien part abduction? Maybe.

There's ledges where stuff will catch..... being non-magnetic would make it more difficult to retrieve.

I had a job where I had a work bench in a poorly lit warehouse, and it had an industrial carpet runner on the floor. I would drop screws and springs, and I'd try to follow them down with my eyes as they fell, so I could pick them up. Approximately a foot off the floor, they'd disappear into a different dimension.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had my jeans cuffed once, and was working on my '74 Grand Am (the year, probably 1980). I dropped a fastener "on the ground"... so I thought. I searched for-EV-er, could NOT find it until... wait, could it be... YES, I found it lodged in the cuff of one pant leg.

Occasionally, if I drop something and can't determine where it went, I'll intentionally drop another "thing" just like it (classic example: sockets), from the same position, and then watch for where IT goes... maybe do this a few times, to get perspective on whether "bounce", "roll" or other factors need to be considered in order to find the original, lost item.

I dropped a tap one time... I had the intake off of my L31 Sub and was clearing the blind holes in the heads before re-installing the intake. So, I dropped the tap into the open engine and it fell in more or less a straight path right into the distributor hole, and clanked a few times on its way down into the oil pan. At least I knew where it went. Retrieving it killed the better part of a day.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Flightline equipment. If you drop hardware or a tool, you don't stop searching until you find it - if it gets sucked into a jet intake you can trash a $3 million engine. I'm doing Air Force Reserve duty this week, and this afternoon I dropped a nut off a bracket and it bounced down through the generator, but fortunately fell right on top of the fuel tank where it was visible. Big sigh of relief!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's contacting one of the pulleys and I can't see it. It's making a pinging noise.
Possibly caught behind the pulley and what it drives? I had a nut get inside the front brake rotor on a truck once; could hear the rattle of it rolling around but couldn't find it till I pulled the wheel and rotor off.