96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could understand the heatsoak train of thought....if it was there all the time....but the temps jump by atleast 40degC when I stomp on the pedal....and settle back down again when I get off it. I'm not trying to put a downer on your build...because it's 'awesome' but I think you'll be looking into an intercooler not long after you install it. Can something be squeezed between the blower and intake? That's what I'd be trying to do. Most of the newer whipples, Magnuson's etc...have that type of setup.
I cut the bracing out from under my hood so I could fit that intercooler on top of the intake.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually you totally opened my eyes to something that I wasn't considering before and I sincerely thank you for that. Obviously you know what you are doing here. I think I was just kind of shocked to learn how high intake air temps can get. I talked to my tuner today and he recommends a lower thermostat and then just see what my IAT looks like.

I value any input you have here. Actually, I was looking forward to it since your last post.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No prob's. Oh....I've spent hours and hours tuning this thing....including playing with fuel dynamics to try and negate lean tip in on throttle stomp...which I have pretty much perfect now (infact....I was the reason for the fuel dynamics tables and .CAX files coming about in EFILive ;-) ).
I forgot to mention...I'm also running a 160deg thermostat....as well as NGK TR5.5 plugs gapped at .035.
Good luck with the setup....it WILL be fun.
If you have any questions....ask away.....I've probably been through it already...albeit with a smal block.

Lyndon played around a bit with my truck also....I think the 'long distance' thing became too difficult. I have my VE tables pretty much perfect at present and all fuelling is good. I know summer is going to get me frustrated again though (and it's coming).
I NEED to get that forged 383 built and installed with the intercooler on it.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am totally torn between the 160 and 180 thermostat. What would you recommend?

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The weather in CA is pretty much the same as here in Melbourne, Oz.....so I'd go with the 160. Without intercooling you'll want to keep the motor as cool as possible.
Problem is....these motors perform best....and are designed to run hot but if yuo do run them hot, you'll have to keep timing down to avoid KR...which means less power.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is an IAT Map that Lyndon at Westers sent me for IAT vs. timing for the 96 454. Some folks claimed that the ECM pulls all advance when the IAT goes up over 100F. Granted, it still pulls timing as the IAT rises but only 4 degrees up to 128C. Some knuckleheads were saying that it pulls all timing which is clearly wrong.

You must be registered for see images

I am assuming that for an 80F (27C) degree day that my IAT is 100F(37C) off boost. Even if I see an 80C degree rise in IAT under boost, the ECM is still only pulling 4 degrees of advance.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am too much of a wuss. I went for the 180 to start. I should note though that I have the Flex-a-lite dual fan kit with manual control of the kick-on temperature. I have seen these fans pull my coolant down 30 degrees in a matter of 30 seconds when they go full blast.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can always swap out the t/stat if need be....so it's no biggy. From memory I tried the 180 first.
Your timing won't only get pulled via te IAT's. I haven't looked into mine for a while because I'm happy with how it's running at present (until summer but ONLY cooler air can fix that) but...you will lose timing via the ECT's (180stat should help with that a bit...as well as the fans) AND depending on what your load is at any particular point...you may already be low in the timing table. You could quite easily hit neg advance....which basically means little to no power....but you'll know when you do (you'll feel the anchor holding you back..Lol!).
I also have dual fans (OEM from a fffff....fff.....one of those 'other' cars...Lol!) and they work great. I control them via the PCM (0411 swap).

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind....sometimes with boost...you need to pull a little timing to negate KR. If you pull timing for that....and then for IAT's as well....that's where you start to get low on advance.

As for pulling 'all' timing....they may be correct.
You may only have 4deg advance at those temps. If that's the case....-4 = 0.
I'm at work so can't look at my tuning software. I'd like to have a look at the timing tables to see if that's true.
If you head over to the GMPP forum, there's a few guys there playing with the 7.4's and various FI builds. Those guys really know what they're talking about and would be a great source of help/info/advice.