96 vortec need insight mpg low end torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BBP knows these trucks extremely well and will give you guidance on whatever you need. Tune is $240, spare black box PCM is another $50 if you want to keep your factory one (which I would recommend). I had my red truck tuned by them and it was an amazing difference. Removed 100% of factory torque management and firmed up my shifts considerably along with tuning for 91 octane and some other odds and ends. It'll roast the tires into second now and my red truck is just the 4.3L V6. Like I said, if you have any questions just ask them. They're extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

EDIT - Can't really compare them to PCMforLess as I've never had any work done by those guys. Can't see how anyone could be better than BBP for these trucks honestly, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Generally bigger cam means lower MPG , I have been using gm 14097395 for my "stock" and 383 rebuilds as most of the cams have been scratched at the bearing surfaces from lack of oil or dirty. It will run without mods but it does like a tune. If you do additional work springs and pushrod clearance 1.6 rockers can yield 17 hp and 9 ftlbs more.
The price is what first attracted me under $200 delivered, stock l31 roller stuff works . 6 engines done.
The 383 has been running out of fuel at 4k rpm , from 2200+ it has over 400 ftlbs torque . torque managemnt also is pulling power before 4k I am looking at an intake swap / Trans swap to th350 / removal of TM