96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a cool trip!

Were you working it hard when it was 210*? I've had mine run between 205-210* running down the interstate into a headwind with an enclosed trailer at 72mph.

Make sure all the fins are clean in your respective coolers to let the airflow through.

It wasn’t working particularly hard. Slight rolling hills on two lane rural road, between 55 and 60 mph. The temp varied by a few degrees on either side of the midway mark. 80s air temp.

Some time back I mentioned this to Jim, whose shop I use, and he said to try replacing the fan clutch to begin with, as it probably needed replacing. I’ll go back through the PO maintenance receipts and see if it’s had the cooling system flushed. Edit: If it hasn’t, I’ll add it to the to do list.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
It wasn’t working particularly hard. Slight rolling hills on two lane rural road, between 55 and 60 mph. The temp varied by a few degrees on either side of the midway mark. 80s air temp.

Some time back I mentioned this to Jim, whose shop I use, and he said to try replacing the fan clutch to begin with, as it probably needed replacing. I’ll go back through the PO maintenance receipts and see if it’s had the cooling system flushed.

Do you have an OBD2 scanner setup, so you can see the actual temp?

For $30-35 you can get the Torque Pro app and an ELM reader for the OBD2 port. It'll give you instant temp of the engine and trans as they see it through the sensors. Lots of other really cool things you can read with these as well. Also allows you to reset codes.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! You just reminded me that I own such a device. I could have brought my full-size Xtool scanner, but I happen to also have a small OBD2 reader by the same company that might just measure temperature. I’m not sure. It was $20, as I recall.

Turns out I even have it with me.
You must be registered for see images attach

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to check the data on the OBD2 device, and for some reason couldn’t connect it to the app on my phone. The fact that cellular service here in the park is marginal at best may affect the app’s behavior. I’ll leave it plugged in so it will continue to collect data as I drive. When I get back home, where’s there’s good cell service and wifi, I’ll check it again.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really happy with the severe duty clutch and 11 blade fan on my truck.
I went with a heavy duty ‘GM Genuine’ 1540109 from RockAuto, which hopefully will do the trick.

I hadn’t thought about changing the fan; having a few more fan blades sounds like a reasonable idea.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious to know which fan you’re using,

and if you had to do it over, would you pick the same fan?
Definitely. I only have a limited experience with high ambient temps since installing, but did have a 100+ degree day last year, drove down the highway at 80 for about 25 minutes, then 30 through town, stopped and let it idle for about 15 minutes, all with the a/c full blast in the heat of the day, and the gauge never budged from 195 (tstat temp)

It had the weird 5(?) blade fan, with the uneven blades when I bought it, it sounded like a semi truck most of the time. Then ran aftermarket electric fans for a long time with continuous issues.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Definitely. I only have a limited experience with high ambient temps since installing, but did have a 100+ degree day last year, drove down the highway at 80 for about 25 minutes, then 30 through town, stopped and let it idle for about 15 minutes, all with the a/c full blast in the heat of the day, and the gauge never budged from 195 (tstat temp)

It had the weird 5(?) blade fan, with the uneven blades when I bought it, it sounded like a semi truck most of the time. Then ran aftermarket electric fans for a long time with continuous issues.
Good to hear y'all are having good results with the plastic 11 blade fan. Burbs has that one, but Rawhide has the 5 blade metal one. Neither one runs hot though.... unless you let the radiator get real low(once on Burb, overheated in January!) or the fan is not spinning (Rawhide when the idler pulley froze up and destroyed the belt!). And the fan may be louder, but it's hard to hear anything over the exhaust....
The metal one is easier to get a new belt around without pulling the top shroud off.