96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently the problem was some more packrat-chewed wiring. They tested all of the circuits and found three suspect wires, which are now fixed. This particular issue seems to be resolved. At least I hope so.

In any case, once the ground dries out here so that I can get this beast back into the garage, plus find some time, I’ll put it up on jack stands and finish what I started last year and give the wiring a good going over. I’m not particularly looking forward to that, but it’s something that has to be done. At a minimum it will help me get to know the vehicle better.

So the Subdivision is back in action, and I’m now able to get back to the renovation project that desperately needs attention, without tearing up the yard and driveway quite so much.

You must be registered for see images attach

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the body shop to get some advice on reattaching my "Suburban" and "GMC Truck" rear door emblems, and wound up talking about the wheel arch moldings. The guy that painted it didn't do a great job of lining up the rear ones, and I was hoping that Jim, my go-to body guy, could line them up a bit better.

He said that in his experience, they trap water which will eventually cause the wheel arches to rust. His advice is to remove them completely.

I started this project wanting to keep it in stock form. However, I've spent too much time and effort to get it looking good, and definitely don't want to deal with rust. I am now strongly considering having him take them off. I'm wondering if there are other examples of 2500 Suburbans sans wheel arch moldings, and what that would look like. Doing so would also entail replacing the lower trim strips, as the ones on there will be too short once the moldings are removed.

I'm interested in hearing others' opinions on this. I have mixed feelings about it.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
If you want to see what they look like without the flares, just look at two-wheel drive rigs. The reality of it is, if you keep your rig clean and washed especially in the winter time you shouldn't have any issues.

In my opinion, removing the flares from your Suburban will kill the look.

400Rogue

Reaction score
I started this project wanting to keep it in stock form. However, I've spent too much time and effort to get it looking good, and definitely don't want to deal with rust. I am now strongly considering having him take them off.

Welcome to the dark side! Jokes aside, I've looked through your entire thread before, this thing is clean. It would be a shame if you accidentally bought some Method Racing wheels for it, while also removing the wheel arch moldings. My truck had a different style and I removed them. IMO it looks much cleaner but to each their own. Can't say mine had bad rust behind them, but there are definitely places where over time they had caused a deep enough scratch to get nearly to the metal, which over time would rust especially if it's trapping water.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I had a truck with flares I would at least once annually remove them and perform an extensive 2 day detail on the whole truck. I know the front flares on the GMT400s require a bit of work to remove them though.

400Rogue

Reaction score
when I had a truck with flares I would at least once annually remove them and perform an extensive 2 day detail on the whole truck. I know the front flares on the GMT400s require a bit of work to remove them though.

When I detailed professionally, I wouldn't remove the flares, but I would use an air compressor with an air nozzle to blow water out of crevices. If I had more time between projects I probably would have, but it would have come with a higher price tag for my services. I second removing them and cleaning behind them every once in a while isn't a bad idea. Mine were the chrome ones, and I just don't like the look of the factory chrome fender arch trim.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to see what they look like without the flares, just look at two-wheel drive rigs. The reality of it is, if you keep your rig clean and washed especially in the winter time you shouldn't have any issues.

In my opinion, removing the flares from your Suburban will kill the look.
That's my main concern. I love the way it looks, and would hate to change it.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I detailed professionally, I wouldn't remove the flares, but I would use an air compressor with an air nozzle to blow water out of crevices. If I had more time between projects I probably would have, but it would have come with a higher price tag for my services. I second removing them and cleaning behind them every once in a while isn't a bad idea. Mine were the chrome ones, and I just don't like the look of the factory chrome fender arch trim.
I hear ya, I also detailed on the side for a year and would always use the blow gun on any molding or customer cars. Real handy! My GMC has the stainless trim which I will be removing, too!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with these aftermarket flares is that they don't fit quite right. The rears are misaligned, and all of them have visible gaps between the flare and the body. Which makes it easy for water and debris to enter and become trapped.

It's not a garage queen, but I'd like it to look good while doing its work.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
noooooo!!!

I get it, it's becoming your baby, and you want her to look great/perfect, but I'd stay focused on the mechanicals if it were me. It's just you and her and she don't care. As it is, she doesn't just look good doing chores now, she looks great, gaps and all. Losing the flares will dramatically change that truck, especially with the two-tone. With the new garage, exposure will be limited anyway. It was a southwest truck and has just been thru a full body prep/paint. We'll all be dead by the time that beauty has a rust problem.