96 4.3 into a 94

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckingeek

Reaction score
So I have this little shortbox black c1500 that I bought new in 94. Now after over 400 thousand the engine started making a god awful knock/bang (connecting rods on the way out) noise. Not a problem since I have a low mileage 98 in my back yard that a friend wrapped around a telephone pole just before dieing and I inherited.

I pulled the TBI 4.3 and 4l60 out and dropped in the 1998 4.3 fuel injected Vortec with a 4l60e and PCM. New fuel pump tank and lines.

Things have been going fine on the swap with the exception that I cannot get it to crank. At all. I did not use the 4l60E's neutral safety switch since I had a working tilt column in the 94 with cruise etc and thought "screw it. it works." I went to check the NSS and to my surprise I discovered that the backup lights are connected to the NSS but nothing else is. So how did my old 94 ignition know it was safe to engage the starter? I have Mitchells Ondemand5 available to me so I have all kinds of schematics but they show the purple wire running straight from my ignition to the starter solenoid.

My question is that since I know everything worked before and all I did was pull the engine, tranny and PCM then replace it with an engine tranny and PCM. What did I remove that told the starter it was ok to engage?

Edited to add schematic for reference

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Truckingeek

Reaction score
I shall answer my own question. Turns out that most pickups with the tilt steering column have a safety (so to speak) switch built right in. The key will not turn completely unless the lever is in park or neutral. I had not hooked the column back up to the linkage and tranny. Once I did and adjusted everything to shift correctly the circuit was complete and the starter works as expected.