96 2wd to 4wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, not sure of millage. I'll ask though. Good points! Top end can be done in the truck if needed later. Looking it over will give me an indication of leakage.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the replacement Vortec engine a rebuilt/remanufactured engine or one pulled out of a junkyard?

If it's already rebuilt/remanufactured, then all you should need to do is drop the engine in and go.

If it's not, I'd be VERY careful with this purchase. You could be getting a great deal, or could be making someone else's problem your problem. Glad you're not paying much money for this.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my post already answered your question. Just drove the silver one home. It's an engine donor for the blue one. The doner engine for the Tahoe is a 200,000 mile motor. I'll have the pan off so I'll go ahead and check rod and main bearings then. It'll have a bunch of stuff replaced before it goes in.

Attachments

• 20230829_155729.jpg
    20230829_155729.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 10

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang it, can't get her home till next Thursday. The owners being a great guy. Just got the huge oak stump off the trailer and it's needing some new deck boards. And there's 4 more fields of hay to cut.

Attachments

• 20230831_095536.jpg
    20230831_095536.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 8

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Dang it, can't get her home till next Thursday. The owners being a great guy. Just got the huge oak stump off the trailer and it's needing some new deck boards. And there's 4 more fields of hay to cut.
A farmer's work is never done.....

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never. Worked on a side gig most of the day, came home and worked till dark on pulling a 5.3 out of a donor to swap into the Suburban. I'm to old for this crap. To poor to pay anybody else. I wish the rear out of that truck would swap into my 97.

Mhowell

Reaction score
From what I understand the easiest way to convert a 2WD truck to 4WD is to hang a solid axle under the front end and eliminate the factory IFS setup. As Kolgeirr mentioned, it's a ton of work. The 2WD trucks are coil spring setups on the front, where as the 4WD have torsion bars. Pretty much everything is different.
Has anyone thought about putting a ford solid axle and using the ford coils in the factory chevy location and adding radius arms?