96 2wd to 4wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm buying a 96 2wd Sub to replace the wife's pos 05. This truck will need to be 4wd to be any use here in the winter. My question is will the frame need any mods to accept the swap. And is the electrically operated transfer case electric or electronic? So two questions actually.
Thanks for any input.
Jim

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the entire front suspension, hubs, etc is all different on a 4WD, on top of the transfer case, a front diff and frame mounts for it, two new driveshafts and the 4WD controls. Easiest and cheapest swap is to buy a 4WD model and sell the 2WD one, so just buy a 4WD one in the first place. if you need 4WD, why are you even buying a 2WD one?

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a complete parts truck. They are a dime a dozen here rotted in half at 100,000 miles. I'm buying a super clean gmc loaded rust free truck for $1200.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From what I understand the easiest way to convert a 2WD truck to 4WD is to hang a solid axle under the front end and eliminate the factory IFS setup. As Kolgeirr mentioned, it's a ton of work. The 2WD trucks are coil spring setups on the front, where as the 4WD have torsion bars. Pretty much everything is different.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The coil versus torsion bar info is what I was looking for. The Sub will sit out the snow. The K1500 will take the brunt.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm excited about the sub, can't wait to get it home. We live an hour from anywhere. Real shopping is 2 to 3 hours away. The pickup is always a pain to take, the back seat stays full of tools and dog hair. We've an 05 sub LT now that's waiting for me to swap in a motor. That thing is a fully loaded, all wheel drive, auto ride, sunroof sweetheart. But getting rotten, it's a shame really, it rides and handles beautifully. There's just no way to get ahead of rust.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried searching for the answer.befpre posting the question but had no luck other than how to go sas. Had i realized it was coil versus torsion bar i wouldn't have asked.

I'm excited about the sub, can't wait to get it home. We live an hour from anywhere. Real shopping is 2 to 3 hours away. The pickup is always a pain to take, the back seat stays full of tools and dog hair. We've an 05 sub LT now that's waiting for me to swap in a motor. That thing is a fully loaded, all wheel drive, auto ride, sunroof sweetheart. But getting rotten, it's a shame really, it rides and handles beautifully. There's just no way to get ahead of rust.