95 Tahoe troubleshooting slight surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
EGR isn't "Emissions junk." One of the things it does is cool the combustion chambers to allow for timing advance, resulting in better MPG at cruising speeds. Some would argue EGR has no place on an engine but I run it willingly.

Allan Johnson

Reaction score
I am one who thinks it has no place. On any engine. I had a 2001 VW TDI I deleted the egr on years ago and got a 2 mpg bump up when I did.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I am one who thinks it has no place. On any engine. I had a 2001 VW TDI I deleted the egr on years ago and got a 2 mpg bump up when I did.
Just because VW doesn't know how to tune an engine (or whatever the case is, coughcoughDieselGatecoughcough) doesn't mean the rest of the MFG's should be condemned or the system entirely. ;)

If it is mine and not a race car or carpitator, EGR stays.

Allan Johnson

Reaction score
I didn't realize egr was so popular. My apologies. Different strokes I guess. I just think that putting hot, dirty exhaust back into the intake defeats the purpose of having a cold air intake. But anyway the culprit in my case was the distributor cap. I changed it out and hooked the egr back up and all is well. The only thing wrong now is the ABS light is on but I'm going to clean the sensors and connections before I do anything else. I have another question on gearing but I'll start another thread for that. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score

Allan Johnson

Reaction score
The problem went away for 2 days now it's back. I think I'm just going to put a new distributor on it. I don't know what else it could be. Maybe try a new rotor first. Idk. I'm about disgusted with it.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'd certainly look into that. If you touched it and things got better for a few days, you're onto something I think. Can't remember if you did this already but check your wires for burns and the plugs too, make sure they are CR43TS (IIRC) and check for cracks in the porcelain. That'll cause a funky misfire.