95 Tahoe getting 6 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty

Reaction score
Need some advice. I have a bone stock 95 Tahoe 157k on the motor and its getting 6 mpg in town or highway. I've changed plug,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter, fuel pump, new o2 sensor (no cat), cleaned the TB and installed new fuel pressure regulator,PVC valve and temp sensor. I've owed the Tahoe for 7 years and in the last year is when this started to happen. I know guys that are getting 12-14 in their lifted trucks that are getting better mpg than me. I'm a carb guy and messing with this stuff on my own is Greek. Any ideas that might get me started in the right direction. Thanks.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the sight!!

Timing? Can you tell if your torque converter is locking up? Does it feel doggy?

Smitty

Reaction score
Overdrive is working fine. Doggy off the line but gets up into rpm's and takes off fine. I guess I'm just use to mashing the throttle and going. My 383 stroker in my 71 Elky with 308 gears a 350 turbo and 465hp is pulling 15mph all day long. A mechanic friend said maybe get the computer flashed might clear it to factory settings and run better.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Is it throwing any codes? It isn't missing at all under a load by any chance? I got two spark plug wires crossed one time, and you'd never notice unless I stomped on it going up a hill. Otherwise ran fine, but got horrible mileage. Ran like that for two weeks before I figured it out.

How long has it been this hard on fuel? Is this just a sudden occurrence?
I'm sure there are others here who will chime in with more experience than me. Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Smitty

Reaction score
No codes at all. Plug wires are in place. Bad mpg for about a year. Mostly a winter driver and to pull around a couple of small trailers. Have a go fast car and a bike for the rest of the year. The only other thing I can think of is bad TB injectors.