95' RC Z71 LQ9 project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the truck delivered for the swap. He's thinking we can upgrade my transmission to a 4l65 for not to much. I'm looking at around the 450rwhp mark and I know a built 4l60 won't take that for long. Can't remember if I mentioned it but the guy goes by NastyC6 on several forums. He does have one nasty c6 to BTW!!

Got a phone call today after he stripped the LQ9 and said the pistons had water on top of them:uhoh2: Looks like a partial rebuild now... I'll post some pics up of the tear down as I get them.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the truck delivered for the swap. He's thinking we can upgrade my transmission to a 4l65 for not to much. I'm looking at around the 450rwhp mark and I know a built 4l60 won't take that for long. Can't remember if I mentioned it but the guy goes by NastyC6 on several forums. He does have one nasty c6 to BTW!!

Got a phone call today after he stripped the LQ9 and said the pistons had water on top of them:uhoh2: Looks like a partial rebuild now... I'll post some pics up of the tear down as I get them.

Man your truck is starting to look like it has the same drive train that mine has... Well in my dreams at least :p

My dream is to put a LQ9 in my truck with some form of upgraded tranny. I'll probably keep the LQ9 mostly stock and just do a partial rebuild on it before I swap it in. I just hope that my L31 350 lasts long enough for me to save up the money for the swap and get the LQ9 rebuilt before I'm forced to do something to the engine.

Have you thought about a 4l80?

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man your truck is starting to look like it has the same drive train that mine has... Well in my dreams at least :p

My dream is to put a LQ9 in my truck with some form of upgraded tranny. I'll probably keep the LQ9 mostly stock and just do a partial rebuild on it before I swap it in. I just hope that my L31 350 lasts long enough for me to save up the money for the swap and get the LQ9 rebuilt before I'm forced to do something to the engine.

Have you thought about a 4l80?

I have thought about the 4l80 but the extra cost would be a bunch. Transmission,transfer case,crossmember,modifying harness/drive shafts and building the transmission itself.

In the beginning I didn't plan to do or spend so much on the swap but I decided while I was doing it just to go ahead and do everything I could. This way the whole drivetrain will be complete and I can worry about other stuff I want to do.

coastsidekid

Reaction score
You'll be sorry for not going with the 80e. Hands down best investment, i punish the hell out of it and it shifts like a caddy and firm when your own it. 4l60e should have never been in a truck let alone a car with decent power and tires.
I did my lq9 swap because i wanted the 4l80e.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a few pictures of parts for the swap.
Heavy duty Transmission cooler
You must be registered for see images attach

Dirty Dingo motor mounts and A/C bracket

Poly Motor mounts got one for the transmission also.

Comp cam,hardned push rods,ARP cam and head bolts,dual valve springs with titanium retainers

I should have some more pictures today of the engine put together.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to end up giving the LQ9 a refresh since it had water in the cylinders. I believe it's going to put out some good power. Here's a list of some of the goodies.

05' LQ9
ARP rod,cam and head bolts
Clevite main bearings
Comp cam (not giving specs just yet but it's pretty big)
Hardned push rods
LS7 lifters
Ported/Polished,milled 317's
Dual valve springs with titanium retainers
LS2 timing chain
High volume oil pump
TBSS intake
8.1 marine injectors

I'm sure I've missed lots of stuff but this is what I could think of right now.

kyle's sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sound's nice, I am looking forward to new pics!

We'll have to meet up sometime when I get the truck back. I'd like to check yours out. I'm wanting to do the hydroboost on mine and hopefully you can give me some pointers.