95 k1500 showin abs codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
abs light came on a few days ago and wont go off, i checked it for codes and its showing code 21 and 65, any ideas on what would cause this and if it is the source of my acceleration problem at low rpms?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey bud well the first code is TPS sensor out of range which is your throttle position sensor. You can pick up a new one @ autozone and it plugs right into the passenger side of the throttle body.

The other code is o2 sensor right side rich exhaust indicated. This is better than it being lean. I just had a similair code but it was saying lean exhaust indicated and it was because of an exhaust leak I had going over right by the o2 sensor. This could just be your o2 going bad or perhaps it is running a bit rich. Can you think of any reasons why it would be running rich?

but you say your ABS light is on? Sure it wasn't the CEL light? To clear codes disconnect your battery for like 10 mins and hook it back up then check them...make sure they are for sure there cuz if you don't clear them after you fix them apparently they stay stored. Just a couple ideas. I would start by fixing each code and see if your ABS light goes away after that.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was the abs light, i check the codes and all the service engine soon light gave was code 12 and the abs gave code 21 and 65

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't even know the ABS light had it's own set of codes :hmm: I may have give you the wrong ones then. I was going off the GM OBD1 Code list set of by the CEL.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Usually ABS lights go on from bad wheel bearings, I don't know any OBD1 codes though.

Wheels speed sensors go out quite a bit.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
from FSC
To check your codes, find the OBDS connector under the dash.
It looks like this:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Get a pad of paper and a pen.
Turn the key off. Turn off your blower, stereo, etc....
Put the jumper into these two pins:

|_|_|_|_|x|x|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Turn the key on, don't start the engine.
Watch the SES light. It will flash numbers (always in pairs).
It will generally start with a code "12", which is one flash, pause, then two flashes, and another pause.

Write down the flash pairs. It can be helpful to have a helper do the writing while you just watch the light and call out "One, Two, One, Two, Three, One, Four, One, One, Two"
When the light cycles back to "12" is generally marks the end of the stored codes, but I always let it run through a couple of times before turning the key off.
Ignore the "12" code, post up the rest of the pairs and someone here can look them up for you, so in my example, the codes you'd be asking about would be 31 and 41.
ABS is similar but the first and last codes may not be 12 (one-two).

|_|_|_|_|_|x|
|_|x|_|_|_|_|

A and H... those are the pins to pull the ABS codes.
Watch the ABS light instead of the SES light, read the codes the same way.

OBD-I ABS codes:
Code 21: right front speed sensor or circuit open
Code 22: missing right front speed signal
Code 23: erratic right front speed signal
Code 25: left front speed sensor or circuit open
Code 26: missing left front speed signal
Code 27: erratic left front speed signal
Code 29: simultaneous drop out of front speed sensors
Code 35: vehicle speed sensor or open circuit
Code 36: missing vehicle speed sensor signal
Code 37: erratic vehicle speed sensor signal
Code 38: wheel speed error