95 burb no crank...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here’s my situation:

95 suburban w/ the TBI 350

Truck will click multiple times when turned to start. I replaced the ignition switch a few weeks ago with an AC Delco unit being that I had a “dead dash” issue (contacts in the original switch were worn out, dash lights would flicker etc) so I’d rule a bad ign switch out. I have swapped in two known good batteries, one with 700 CCA and one with 800 CCA- no difference. My next thought was the starter since the original issue sounded a lot like a stuck solenoid, so I went and bought one from the local parts slinger and put it in- now the truck will click ONCE when turned to start and will do nothing until the key is released, at which point you can do the same thing again. Jumping the terminals on the starter itself results in rapid-fire clicking like I had with the original starter, but does nothing else. I had healthy voltage with all three batteries- 12.8 when sitting and dropped to like 12.4 when attempting to start. It’s a 95 so I don’t have passlock. No funky kill switches wired in. Only other steering column related issue I can think of is sometimes my multifunction switch acts up and the wipers won’t work intermittently, but I think that may be the wiper transmission since if I get out and help it, it works fine.

It would rub me raw if I had to pay $75 to get it home, being that it’s broke down about a mile from the house at the gym. Anybody have suggestions? Even if it’s “Jump this wire to that wire to get it to start” would be awesome.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked your grounds?

Yes. I replaced all the grounds with 2GA OFC wire a while back and cleaned up all mounting points. I checked everything again today since I thought maybe one of them came loose or something, but no luck.

Last edited:

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What brand of new starter? New does not always equal good.

Yeah, it’s a crappy parts store Valucraft starter. If they would’ve had an ACDelco starter I would’ve gotten that instead but I’m just trying to get it home. I guess the starter could’ve been bad out of the box although I’ve never had that happen

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s a crappy parts store Valucraft starter. If they would’ve had an ACDelco starter I would’ve gotten that instead but I’m just trying to get it home. I guess the starter could’ve been bad out of the box although I’ve never had that happen
You stated you jumped leads on the starter. In my experience, the only time that doesn’t get it to kick over is bad starter or bad power.

Edit: and yes you can get bad parts out of the box.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always make the parts store test the new starter before I leave with it.

Last edited:

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You stated you jumped leads on the starter. In my experience, the only time that doesn’t get it to kick over is bad starter or bad power.

Edit: and yes you can get bad parts out of the box.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. When I replaced all the wiring I didn’t replace the lead for the starter, that was the last thing that I had to do but it started raining on me and I never got around to it