94 GMC RCLB Junkyard Dog Project - Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Im back with a daily driver build. Ironically, I saved this 94 GMC RCLB from the junkyard with intentions on using it to drive me to and from the junkyard. My neighbor was going to junk this truck but graciously put me on a layaway program instead. The truck had a remanufactured 4.3l Goodwrench engine and 4l60e Goodwrench trans with unknown mileage, truck has 198,*** on it. The engine had a knock and the trans would not shift from 1st but she was in otherwise decent condition. The main thing was everything was there except the pass speaker grille and fuse box cover, plus the price was right at only $400.
I first thought I could use my 95 Yukon engine and trans and be rolling the next day. Wrong, long story short I had to get a trans and harness from(you guessed it), the junkyard.
Anyway, I swapped out the 4.3l with my 5.7l and got her rolling. Time to start fixing things, my way...

I added my old man style running boards and an aluminum toolbox i got for $25.
You must be registered for see images

Then I welded on my flowmaster and dual rear exhaust from the yukon, had to extend the muffler and still need to extend the pipes since this is a long bed

Dash out to change fresh air blend door actuator

Dyed my dash black

4.3l coming out

5.7l in and running

More to come!

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my Junkyard Dog brings me to the junkyard to look for a speaker cover and decent steering wheel and look what I park next to.

although they clearly do not know how to park that truck, i had to stop and admire the fender flares and wish that one day i could get my own. luckily, today was my day! first truck i see on the lot has oem fender flares on it, i scooped them up for a low low then proceeded to look for my spkr cover and wheel. after walking the whole lot, still no wheel but i did score the flares and a spkr cover eventually. Probably install the flares this week, need to paint them and get some 3m tape since i didnt take the oem metal fasteners.

i got an under dash harness a while back that has both footwell lamps, glove box lamp and ash tray lamp and finally finished it

I installed the cruise control.

I found a groovy $12 wood wheel from a "good times van".

before:

after:

went from this:

to this:

i put my grey carpet kit from the yukon in here since its stained up some, my yukon will recieve new carpet once completed and this is only a work truck so itll be fine.

i also had a sagging door problem, mainly on the driver side. it was soo bad my door was cutting into the b pillar and rocker from misalignment. there was no spring and the roller had long been missing from the roller pin. the upper bushings were egged. i got the roller pin and upper/lower pin and bushing sets from the help isle at autozone.
parts per door:
(1) 38433 door roller pin $14.99
(2) 38416 door hinge pin and bushing kit $6.99

i used a chisel punch to remove the split head on the oem roller pin, then with my engine lift supporting the weight, i hammered the door pins through and removed the door.

i forgot to take pics during but the upper most bushing hole on the upper hinge was egged. i found a drill bit closest to that size and held it in the hole while i hammered the hinge on the corner of the egg. it rounded the hole back to shape and should help the bushing last longer now.
a harbor freight door spring compressor and free junkyard spring later, my door is back to factory.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also forgot to post the tow hooks i put on and overhead console

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah there is not a lot of rust down south, this truck luckily has none. thanks for stopping in.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting to look real good man. Question is, is this gonna stay a junkyard runner or is this gonna turn into a fun truck for ya?

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks Greg! im not a fan of rclb trucks so this truck will always be a beater to me no matter how much i do to it. i have a 95 yukon that i am slowly building for street/show and needed a real truck i can do whatever i need to in. this truck will remain, the junkyard dog daily driver.

i dont plan on painting it but i do want to bedliner the rockers from the body line down along with the oem flares i picked up for it. is that bedliner on yours? love that push bar, i hope to find one like that for mine. nice ride!

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks Greg! im not a fan of rclb trucks so this truck will always be a beater to me no matter how much i do to it. i have a 95 yukon that i am slowly building for street/show and needed a real truck i can do whatever i need to in. this truck will remain, the junkyard dog daily driver.

i dont plan on painting it but i do want to bedliner the rockers from the body line down along with the oem flares i picked up for it. is that bedliner on yours? love that push bar, i hope to find one like that for mine. nice ride!

I used herculiner and I've had it for two years and I'm seriously considering replacing the herculiner for black paint at this point. It's faded pretty good and has kind of thinned out over the years. The pushbar may also be temporary. But thanks for the compliments man!

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Hey, if you dont mind me asking, i got two questions... what is in the whole hadding cruis control in there? My truck doesnt have it, and id like to add it, on my parts truck, it does have it... so basicly, where exacly does the wiring go? does it have a relay or? how hard is it to put in. And also, where did you wire up the Temp. display for the new mirror for it to actually work ?

sorry again for the questions, hope you can help.