94 c1500 throttle response improvement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all I was wondering how could I improve the throttle response on my 94 350tbi truck. Right now when I floor it seems like it takes 5 seconds before the engine responds to the accelerator.

Thanks in advance

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5 second delay sounds like a systematic issue, one that won't be fixed by a spacer. Like was said above, tune up for starters, maybe check fuel pressure and change filter, check timing.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently adjusted the timing which improved idle in park and at stop light could that be the cause? I followed the steps to do the timing properly

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely something wrong. Engine should respond instantly with a sudden throttle opening. No codes?

Anything worked on lately just before this started happening?

Running normally at under cruise conditions? Any change in fuel mileage?

Just trying to help you pin this down.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Definitely something wrong. Engine should respond instantly with a sudden throttle opening. No codes?

Anything worked on lately just before this started happening?

Running normally at under cruise conditions? Any change in fuel mileage?

Just trying to help you pin this down.

Agreed. Has it always been this way and you are now just trying to make it better? Or did something just happen recently? Background info would be helpful to avoid back and forth questions.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Truck always had a little throttle hesitation I figured it was because of the heavy cam and the fact that I'm still running stock manifolds and Y pipe. I adjusted the timing Sunday it idles much better both parked and at the light in drive. Then I noticed the hesitation when I have to overtake a car. Seems the throttle opens with a delay. Since I'm ordering headers pretty soon I'll do spark plugs and try to re adjust timing again with someone that has the timing light. Thanks again guys

long_bed

Reaction score
Catalytic converter may be plugged, pull your spark plugs and take a look at them, have the ignition module tested.