92 suburban having idle issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. OBD1 and 2 are both capable of live sensor data output and lots of other cool stuff. You just need a capable scan tool.

As Schurkey mentioned, you don't necessarily need a fancy new scan tool. I bought a Chinese clone of a GM Tech 2, which was the diagnostic tool used at GM dealerships when these trucks were new (and the tool that the GM factory service manuals were written around). They've been replaced by newer tools now so they won't work with brand new vehicles, but they'll do anything GM from 1991-2013. Unfortunately the Chinese Tech 2 clones are getting tough to find at reasonable prices, and authentic Tech 2s can be over $1K (and very difficult to distinguish from the clones). I'm sure others can give you some good advice on other high quality older scan tools to look out for though. IIRC Snap-On has some nice older models that you can find used for a few hundred bucks.
I did not know that, good to know. Thank you.
What's a good price for a scanner, like ballpark? I know theres a differnce between "too cheap, dont buy", and a good deal.
I've heard Harbor freight sells scanners, and I have one of those in my town. Would one of those work?
I have a hard time ordering things on line, because I don't have a computer or internet, and I dont trust my old phonesecurity, so I have to either do things in person, or have a buddy order it for me on his.

And I have a hard time buying a tool for my truck that cost me more than my truck, and all my 90s chevys have cost me less than 500$ each, haha.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.gmt400.com/threads/91-suburban-still-dead-in-the-water-no-pulse-at-injectors.58190/page-2#post-1242757

Click on the link to the outside forum for photos and description of what an ancient "real" scan tool can do on OBD 1.
Heres another question, can I get a OBD to USB cord and get some sorta app or something, and just plug it into a computer?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a good price for a scanner, like ballpark? I
I paid $350 for my most-recent scan tool. (Snap-On Solus Pro) Another one similar to mine just sold a few days ago for $280 + shipping.

MT/MTG 2500s and the original Solus are older machines, and would likely sell for less money.

As always, make sure you get the accessories and software suitable for the vehicles you'd use it on. Battery/charger, vehicle adapters, personality keys, operator's manuals, cables, cigarette-lighter or vehicle-battery power cord(s), etc.

I've heard Harbor freight sells scanners, and I have one of those in my town. Would one of those work?
I won't set foot in Hazzard Fraught.

can I get a OBD to USB cord and get some sorta app or something, and just plug it into a computer?
Yes.

I can't help you with that. All my experience has been with Snap-On scan tools.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid $350 for my most-recent scan tool. (Snap-On Solus Pro) Another one similar to mine just sold a few days ago for $280 + shipping.

MT/MTG 2500s and the original Solus are older machines, and would likely sell for less money.

As always, make sure you get the accessories and software suitable for the vehicles you'd use it on. Battery/charger, vehicle adapters, personality keys, operator's manuals, cables, cigarette-lighter or vehicle-battery power cord(s), etc.

I won't set foot in Hazzard Fraught.

Yes.

I can't help you with that. All my experience has been with Snap-On scan tools.
Ouch. Yeah, no. My kind was thinking like less than $100, like maybe 80. Guess that's not happening.

And I love Harbor freight as I'm sure you can tell. I buy 90% of my tools and supplies there.
And I wont touch Snap On stuff, too damn expensive, sorry. Socket sets are about the only thing I'll but name brand.

I guess I'll look into seeing if someone I know has something.
Either that, or just do it the old fashion way. Make an educated guess and replace a part that fits the criteria.
Probably easier and cheaper.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Either that, or just do it the old fashion way. Make an educated guess and replace a part that fits the criteria.
Probably easier and cheaper.

Until you do it multiple times and the problem is still there...

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely check IAC and TPS as people mentioned. I would also replace the fuel filter and see if that helps - probably time for it anyway. My money is on the IAC since it seems to run great once up to a decent rpm. Or a faulty EGR that is stuck open could be pumping in exhaust gas when it's not supposed to - take it off and with the suction of your hand on the vacuum port see if it holds a vacuum.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely check IAC and TPS as people mentioned. I would also replace the fuel filter and see if that helps - probably time for it anyway. My money is on the IAC since it seems to run great once up to a decent rpm. Or a faulty EGR that is stuck open could be pumping in exhaust gas when it's not supposed to - take it off and with the suction of your hand on the vacuum port see if it holds a vacuum.
IAC? What's that stand for?

And I've replace the fuel filter and EGR valve just recently.