'92 C1500 4.3L 5 speed. Unable to shift with engine running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_slxck

Reaction score
I wish it only took me a single day to R&R a clutch. Last clutch I replaced took no less than a week. Time constraints during the week, tight funding, and lack of availability of parts seems to always hinder progress.
Story of my life, man. It's been torn apart in my driveway a week now, once I have all the parts it's just a couple hours work to bolt the trans back in place and whatnot but i still need to go get the stuff. Currently waiting for a check to clear so I have the money to do so but it's taking longer than I thought it would and I'm tapped for the time being.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know what that's like. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.....

_slxck

Reaction score
Well the truck is finally good to go so figured I'd make an update. I swapped out the friction disc and pressure plate with some low mileage replacements, new release bearing, new pilot bushing, and I'm just gonna pretend I didn't actually see what kind of shape the flywheel is in. I also decided last minute to use a different trans I had sitting around. Was just about to put the trans back in and was setting the clutch fork/TOB in place and I noticed it didn't want to pivot smoothly. It would catch about halfway through the motion and it turned out to be the pivot ball was all chewed up on the end and had gouged the fork a bit. So I put the fork and bearing on the other trans and put it all back together. Still unsure what the exact problem was or if it was a combination of things but either way its problem solved.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pivot ball was all chewed up on the end and had gouged the fork a bit
If the pivot ball was protruding through the fork a bit, it wasn't getting a full throw, which would keep the clutch partially engaged while trying to shift.