92 5.7 ran great, now won't start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
If you have voltage to the coil wire, your ignition switch is working. Check to make sure the chip in the ECM is seated properly.

trackfiend

Reaction score
Well I picked up the new ECM today and installed it and it still won't start. Cranks but still won't fire. I'm about ready to roll it out of the garage and set fire to the damn thing!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so its got spark? its got the correct fuel pressure? is there maybe a rats nest in the airbox? what are the other symptoms? its the dist. lose?

trackfiend

Reaction score
We pulled the distributor and checked it completely out including the pickup coil, everything tested good. Then reinstalled it in the correct position. Still no spark and the injectors are not firing. Fuel pressure is good, ignition module's good, coil's good and have checked the relays, fuses and all the connections I can find. Like I said early on it's frustrating as hell because the truck was running flawless until this, no warning or anything before it died.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No spark and no fuel from injectors, everything seems to check fine, but still no worky, right? I just reread this whole thing.....u checked +12V to the coil with ignition on right? Did you check -12V(neutral) on the coil? If not use an ohm meter to check continuity from neutral to ground at the coil on and off ignition.

Also, you said you have the Haynes manual, right? Look for a wiring diagram on the ignition circuit, (off of memory) my Dad reminded me there was an oil pressure switch that dropped out the neutral if the oil pressure was too low as a safety to keep from damaging the motor. If the switch is open you won't get fuel or spark. Causes could include: low oil press. no oil, bad oil pump, or faulty switch.

Have you checked the oil lately? Those motors tend to burn about a quart every 600 miles or so.
How many miles are on the truck?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also not that your motor is set up the same, but my caviler, once it lost batt power it would not start because it had that dumb anti theft on it. if you crank it for a second and let it sit in the run position for 10 mins then shut it off and try again it would fire right up. i have never seen this on a silverado but its free to try lol.

trackfiend

Reaction score
I've been meaning to get back on here but have super busy. Pulled the distributor and tore it apart to check the pick up coil and found the problem. The reluctor wheels and everything around it, including the pick up coil were rusted beyond belief. The wires also coming out of the pick up coil were cracked and hard from age. Went to O'Reilly's and picked up a brand new distributor with a lifetime warranty and she's back on the road again. Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions along the way. Now my next decision is to lift it or lower it?

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear its running again, most of the time electrical gremlins can be a real booger!

Your next decision is simple, 4wd's go up and 2wd's go down.

trackfiend

Reaction score
I know, but I've never had anything lifted and kind of like the pre-runner look. If it gets dropped it will be moderate so it can still haul my track car. I have built several mini trucks in the past so it may just end up dropped in the end. LOL.