92 5.7 ran great, now won't start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Take a multimeter and see if the ignition module before the coil is getting a voltage reference when you are on the starter, but it may be a good idea to pull the signal wire to the starter to keep from burning it up. Multimeters are lots of help when tracking wires down in a harness, especially when your rebuilding a harness for a totally different motor to go into an old car...

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you said it turns over and just doesn't start, right? That to me would rule out the ign switch, even though that was my first inclination as well. See if anyone in town can check functioning of an ecm to see if it is working correctly.
We had an issue with my Dad's 90 model that him and a mechanic couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. They tried everything, i suggested replacing the ecm b/c it sat out in the yard FOREVER so i figured Tx sun got to it and ruined it. We plugged the new ecm up and it fired right up. I'm assuming this truck sat for awhile, with a leaking trans and a $500 price tag, sounds like someone just wanted to get rid of it. Heck of a deal

trackfiend

Reaction score
I'm still checking wiring guys, have a feeling this is gonna take a little while. I did get a hell of a deal on the truck. If this works here's a pic of the truck after a quick wash when I got it home.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
[/IMG] After a good scrubbing to get the tree sap off and changed out the mirrors for late model ones
[/IMG]
[/IMG] Not half bad for $500.

Reaction score
I'm still checking wiring guys, have a feeling this is gonna take a little while. I did get a hell of a deal on the truck. If this works here's a pic of the truck after a quick wash when I got it home.
[/IMG]
[/IMG] After a good scrubbing to get the tree sap off and changed out the mirrors for late model ones
[/IMG]
[/IMG] Not half bad for $500.

One hell of a deal you got, even if you have to put a little $$$$ to get it running.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Eh, good enough excuse to swap in a 383 with a manual trans... LOL

trackfiend

Reaction score
Well I've checked all the fusible links, checked the wires to the coil and ignition module. Can't find any issues with any of that and now it's quit firing the injectors when you crank it over. I think it might be the ecm but of course there's no way to test those, I did disconnect the battery and then the ecm and then plugged it back in. Still nothing though. I'm about ready to pull my hair out over this. LOL.

Reaction score
All fuses and relay's are good? Ground straps are all intact? I can't think of anything else, it does sound like a bad ecm. IMO.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would have to say its the ecm, or its somthing to do with the position of the motor / whatever sensor tells the ecm where its at and when to fire everything. but i think ecm failure sounds more like it. and if that is the case you had spent all the money on those other parts you didnt need, like i mentioned early on in this post. but they are new now at least. i think you can get that ecm dirt cheap from the junkyard though.

trackfiend

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if I can find one cheap to try. A towing company in town has a 90 they got during the cash for clunkers deal. Will that ecm work if it's a 5.7 too? OReilly's lists a new one for less than $100 which I don't mind spending if that is it for sure. If I can get a used one dirt cheap I will try that and then buy a brand new one so I don't have to worry about it again.