91 TBI 350 dies in flight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a K1500 with the 350 TBI. It is not my daily driver but it does get driven a few days a week. The last couple times I have driven it, it dies with no notice at all. It has plenty of fuel in the tank and is running fine otherwise. The first time it did it, I was exiting the freeway and released the gas pedal and applied the brakes. It just died and I had to roll to the side of the off ramp. The second time, I was sitting at a stoplight with my foot on the brake and it just died. Both times I was not giving it any gas. Also both times, after trying to start a few times it fired back up an ran. It never started the very first time trying to restart. It takes 3 or 4 times. When it does not start, all it does is crank. I have not had a chance to check anything yet but am going to next week hopefully. Does anybody have any ideas or have had any similar issues?

All tune up items are in good shape. Fuel pump is probably 10 years old. This truck has never had an issue like this before but I almost think it is fuel related.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this happen on other vehicles, and cleaning the throttle body sometimes would take care of random stalling issues. That said, the fact that you're having trouble getting it to restart points me to the fuel pump. Nothing lasts forever, and I think it's telling you its days are numbered.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure should be between 9 and 13 PSI. Your local auto parts store should be able to check your ICM. If it fails, don't buy a cheapy replacement, get an AC Delco unit.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try to hook up my adapter so I can check the pressure this weekend. I may just buy a new ICM. They are cheap enough.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic symptoms of a failing pickup coil. Common as dirt with the TBI distributor.

My own '88 did the same thing, except I limped it along for six or eight months as it got worse and worse. There came a time--250 miles from home--that it died and simply would not re-start. The Chevy dealer stabbed a new mainshaft into the distributor, and it's been fine ever since.

LOOK at the pickup coil. Can you see breaks in the magnet?

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Classic symptoms of a failing pickup coil. Common as dirt with the TBI distributor.

My own '88 did the same thing, except I limped it along for six or eight months as it got worse and worse. There came a time--250 miles from home--that it died and simply would not re-start. The Chevy dealer stabbed a new mainshaft into the distributor, and it's been fine ever since.

LOOK at the pickup coil. Can you see breaks in the magnet?

You mean the magnet on the distributor itself right?

Reaction score
Get it to stall, then with the aircleaner off have a buddy look to see if the injectors are firing when you crank. i'll bet its the ICM.