91 led cluster swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bartlett

Reaction score
When you swapped to led's and put your needles
Back on did you put the cluster in first then your
Needles, or did you put them in before? I have pictures
Of them both ways just wondering which way was better.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Put the needles back on? Why did you remove them? There's no need to pull needles to put LED's in the cluster. Zero.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, was wondering. :)

You have pictures of the needles before removal, with the truck on? That would be the best way to put them back on, but you have to match up the variables, like whether the truck was warmed up or cold, since that would affect temp gauge, tachometer, and usually oil pressure too. Anyway it's easy enough to leave the clear lens housing off the cluster and plug it back in so you can turn the truck on and install the needles.

When I had to re-set needles on a 454SS cluster someone had done a gauge face on, the needles were completely wrong so I had to set everything. Used an IR temp gun to check engine temp, filled gas tank up and set gauge to full (then checked again when it said half by seeing how much it took to re-fill), speedometer using GPS, tach using a diagnostic tach hooked up to the coil tach lead, oil pressure with a mechanical test gauge, and voltmeter using my multimeter measuring at the battery. A bit of work but in the end gauges more accurate than the factory ever bothered to set them.

Richard