88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You missed a few pages :p

You must be registered for see images attach

Wired this GMT800 plug in

Installed in the bumper. Only reason I put it here is because it already had a 6-pin one there.... meh.

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Alrighty, with the cooperation of the weather and the help of Devin, I got the door hinge pins FINALLY done. We got all of them replaced and lubricated, then adjusted the latches and strikers of each door. The driver's door I think had been caught by the wind at some point, so we used a floor jack to "adjust" it back upwards. I even adjusted the driver's fender to line up a little better......

Then, I spent a bit of time wiring the mirrors up. This truck was really easy compared to the 88, aside from having to make a harness for it entirely, there was already parking lights and grounds in the door itself, so I only had to run 2 wires out of each door (mirror heat 12V and signal 12V).

Few dusk shots of the cablights, mirror lights, and rear clearance light.

Man, this thing has sure came a hell of a long ways from when I first brought it home.....

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just read what you posted and you said there was a wire in the door for the parking lights already??

do you know if this is true for all the new obs trucks?

if so that would make it much easier to put them on and hook them up

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think they are there for the light's in the door and window switches, so you you would just need to tap in to them.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Yup, there is a brown wire in each door for the switch lighting, it's a constant on with parking lights, not dimmed. It would be there on any 95+ truck.

So, I spent the afternoon doing the boring, tedious stuff that I've put off awhile, well, cause it's boring, well and the weather has been cruddy most days.

Spent about 3 hours laying under the truck, inspecting "stuff."

The good:
- Checked the oil. It was full, black and all diesely. :D Hasn't been using any in the 1,500 miles I've owned the truck!!!
- Transmission is full, golden honey colored, and smells like Syntorque (thank god some idiot didn't change it and refill it with standard gear lube). I also noticed the transmission sports both PTO cover sticker and the red tag on the fill plug saying to refill with GM fluid.
- Transfercase was full of nice red ATF.
- Both diffs were full of clean gear lube.
- Exhaust has been replaced at some point with 3", although it's standard exhaust shop bends. The soot trap is long gone. Crossover is stock.
- 3 rear u-joints have been replaced at some point with new sealed units. Fronts are original
- Greased all the steering components and balljoints. They were all crusted in grease, which to me indicates they have been regularly serviced in the past.

The bad:
- First thing, the low coolant light came on last night for a moment, so I topped it off. It's orange and looks clean still. I searched around everywhere I can see, and can't seem to find a leak.
- Driver's exhaust manifold was missing bolt at crossover flange, and was leaking. Replaced with a new anti-seezed stud and nut.
- Transmission is weeping at the input shaft retainer
- Front diff is weeping at case half, typical
- Oil cooler lines are weeping at 3 of the 4 crimped connections, typical

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Sounds like you wound up with a well maintained tow rig there. Nice find.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
As long as the coolant stays there, I'm really paranoid about that one. It COULD easily be a cracked #8 cylinder or a blown head gasket (both things this motor is known for) but the coolant and oil are not mixing... so IDK. Might be a slow leak somewhere I can't see, or i'm just freaking out over nothing. Time will tell.