88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Some aweskme shots looks like fun. Us that your old trailer in the last pic?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Took the camper to the NHRA drag races with my dad the other weekend. They ad me drive through a field to the parking area, and unfortunately while going slow i hit a HUGE hole. Ended up noticing some slack in the drivers front camper chain.... after inspection the forged turnbuckle hook bent open and the eye on the camper itself bent. So... upgrade time.

Picked up a set of spring mounted turnbuckles and ordered a set of torklift derringers. Not only are they easy to use, look way better, but they also protect the camper and make it ride a bit better.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just a random shot. GMC land around my place...

I also live dangerously.

Last weekend I pulled the camper and helped a friend move a car. Had to block the truck up with my camper leveling blocks to nose the trailer down and get the car off.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Time for an update.

I have been having the hard start issue in this truck since I bought it. I put injectors in my truck: one "refurbished" set that still leaked, one the incorrect size (my fault), and in an attempt to save a buck and replace the first leaky refurbs, bought another set of refurbs of the different style from a different seller. They leaked as well. I was sick of pulling my intake and decided to just deal with it, until it started running rough and missing at idle.... I've went through all the sensors, fuel system and ignition items and determined it had to be the damned injectors.

So I ended up buying a brand new set of bosch injectors from fiveomotorsports. Installed them with another FPR just for re-assurance and now it starts and runs perfectly.... FINALLY!

In other news, I've built a step for the camper. It slides in the receiver hitch and uses a piece of angle to stabilize it off the camper bumper. I haven't yet finished plating it but here it is!

I also visited a junkyard and did a bit of parts pullin. I found a 00 escalade with heated seats for $23/ea... The leather was trached but I wanted the heated seats and the power base for the passenger side. Well, after dis-assembly and testing the heated portion, I pulled my seat out to discover the fabric seat covers are GLUED to the foam unlike the leather seats. So in the interest of not destroying my seats (which are in great shape) i'm opting to not install the heating elements.

My big junkyard score of that trip was a really clean black hood from a 98 suburban. My hood has the heat cracking clearcoat issue many trucks had...

The new hood doesn't have this issue and matched prefectly. For $25 who could complain. Managed to fit the escalade seats and the hood in the back of the 02, under the cover.....

Last weekend I took the newly injected, clean hooded beast out for a camping trip to the dunes. Loaded up the quads and camper and hit the road.

Decided after my strapping troubles the last trip I would setup the go-pro camera on the back of the camper, using wifi to check the trailer via my phone.

And the misc camping and riding shots.

And the trip back home - Convoy style!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooooo want a camper like yours! I do't own a 454 but I have passed on a couple of opportunities because of some of the injector issues that I keep hearing about. Any idea what makes the fiveo ones better?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
There is nothing "better" about them over other injectors, i just was trying to save a buck and bought reman ones. I will never do that again. What makes the fiveomotorsports injectors better is they are a reputable company with good prices on parts that are matched properly for the truck. And have a 6 year / unlimited mile warranty on them.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
How many miles does that dually have on it now? I've seen some 454's have fuel injection problems earlier than others... mine? 204k and no hard starting ever. However i did just have to replace the FP.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah i've seen a few pesky 454's with fuel issues... Filter, Regulator, Injectiors and FP's...

I'm also jealous, it would be nice to have a big CCLB dually, and one of them campers. For now i'm stuck with my truck tent :)